Thursday, February 4, 2010

Lettuce Wraps for Dinner – Mexican and Pizza

In the spirit of the upcoming Healthy Challenge I made a quick dinner tonight from things in the refrigerator. This is another one of those recipes that is more of a method than an actual recipe. For dinner tonight we had two types of lettuce wraps.


The first wrap was Mexican inspired. I smeared some fat-free hummus in a romaine leaf. Then I added red pepper strips, cucumber slices, salsa, cilantro and sliced black olive. Both the hubby I really liked this. It is very much like our usual daily lunch salad, but somehow picking it up like a sandwich makes it seem different.


The second wrap I am calling the pizza wrap. Again I used romaine leaves to hold the sun-dried tomato cheeze and sun-dried tomato marinara. I sprinkled a little oregano on top.

These lettuce wraps tasted very different. The hubby liked the Mexican version better and I preferred the pizza version. Both were on the table in less than 5 minutes, including the time to photograph the dish. These would make a great lunch dish to be filled just before serving. Additionally, this would be a great way to have a raw pizza without a dehydrator.

Unrelated Note:

For now I am off to spend some time with my hubby. I hope you all have a great evening.

13 comments:

  1. These look great...I agree there's something extra about being able to pick it up and eat like a wrap.

    We went out to Thai food last night; one of the things we ordered was green papaya salad...it came served with romaine leaves...we ate the salad in the leaves like a wrap; it was fun and good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rose,

    Why is it more fun to pick up your food? Is this some throw back from our childhood? I like your idea of putting the green papaya salad in the romaine leaves.

    We had lettuce wraps tonight because I wanted a sandwich and didn't want the bread. Lettuce wraps are some of my favorite lunch meals, but tonight we had it for dinner.

    talk to you later,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lettuce wraps look absolutely amazing, Alicia! I love how you created different styles of wraps, they both sound delicious and you must to have a lot of fun eating them:) I have to copy this fantastic idea very soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those wraps look so refreshing! Another great appetizer idea as well to go along with those stuffed mushrooms! Hope you had a great evening with your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oraphan,

    I love to use romaine as a bread substitute. Sandwiches were always my favorite food, but using romaine I can have the yummy fillings without the flour. I can't wait to see the fillings you come up with. :)

    Heather,

    Thanks! Can't wait to see what you do with this. I always love your ideas.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I'd bought some heads of Romaine in advance of the storm. Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shenandoah,

    I use romaine in place of wraps with all sorts of fillings. Even the picky hubby likes it. We really like this with tofu or chickpea salad.

    How is the snow where you are today? It started here about an hour ago and doesn't look like much so far.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to eat my "tuna" ("tun-NOT") salad wrapped in Romaine leaves, but your fillings sound fantastic, and not anything that would have occurred to me as filling for a lettuce wrap. (The Mexican filling sounds like it would be rather taco-salad like, wrapped in crunchy lettuce!)

    (Since you asked the question yesterday, I can't help but wonder how nori wraps would be for something other than sushi! I think the lettuce was a much better choice for your pizza and Mexican fillings, but I'll bet that chickpea or tun-not salad would make a great nori wrap!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lalo,

    I am making a miso heavy nut cheese today to use to make a nori veggie wrap tonight for our appetizer. Needless to say I will let you know what we think of it. ;)

    I like your chickpea and tun-not ideas though. Thanks so much for sharing. I bet tofu eggless salad would be great in nori too.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is at least two feet of snow outside. I'm not as freaked out as I was. Just hoping to get food out to the birds and squirrels. How many feet did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shenandoah,

    So much for "it didn't look like much". It started very lightly but it looks like at least two feet now. We won't be going anywhere, except maybe to take a few pics and shovel the side walk.

    The snow even stuck to the windows last night it was blowing so hard. I had to open the door to check the snow level. One side of the house had drifted so I couldn't get that door open. Good thing there are multiple doors out. This seems to be more snow than we got in December. Does it seem like that to you?

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heck yeah! We got at least three feet. If I can get some pics, I'll post one or two.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shenandoah,

    I would love to see some pics.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails