Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Artichoke and Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce


Yesterday was a lazy and relaxing day for me. After I finished with my “must do” list I spent the rest of the day doing things I enjoy, specifically yoga and reading. It was a great “ all about me” day. I really need to do that a little more often.

Since I was so busy, doing nothing, I didn’t plan dinner. This is the sort of meal I make when I need something healthy that doesn’t take a lot of time. In the past I would have used olive oil and pancetta to sauté the veggies (but no more) and this would have been over pasta, and finished with parmesan cheese. My tastes have changed so much that I don’t miss the oil, pancetta or cheese at all. (Who am I?) I added the lemon to this to add fresh acidity to the dish for extra flavor since I have eliminated so many other flavorful components. Fresh parsley would have been great in this, but I am out.

This recipe works just as well with frozen or canned artichokes. I have even made it with marinated artichokes and that works surprisingly well and adds more acidity, which I love. If you need a quick dinner one night this is a good one. Here is what we had last night for dinner over brown rice.

Artichoke and Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce
Serves 2 hungry adults

Ingredients:

1 yellow or red onion, peeled and diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely diced (allow to stand 10 minutes before cooking so allicin can develop)
½ cup water
10 baby artichokes cleaned and quartered (or use frozen artichokes)
28 ounces fire roasted tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon Chianti vinegar (or any wine vinegar)
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
Lemon wedges – for serving
Brown rice or pasta to serve sauce over

Directions:

Water sauté the onion and garlic until tender. Add the artichokes, tomatoes, vinegar, and seasonings and simmer until the artichokes are tender.

Serve over rice or pasta with a lemon wedge on the side to squeeze over the dish for a little fresh acidic bite.

Nutritional Information (does not include the rice):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 240.39
Calories From Fat (7%) - 17.91

Total Fat - 2.14g
Saturated Fat - 0.41g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 619.26mg
Potassium - 1736.58mg
Total Carbohydrates - 52.67g
Fiber - 16.82g
Sugar - 4.08g
Protein  - 12.9g

Comments:

This is one of my go to sauces when I haven’t planned dinner. I like knowing that artichokes are very high in antioxidants. My hubby likes anything with a tomato based sauce, so we are both happy. Each serving of this sauce contains 2,800IU of vitamin A, 50mg of vitamin C, 210mg of calcium, 7mg of iron, 260mcg of folate, 260mg of phosphorus, and 140mg of magnesium. I also like that this dish is so high in potassium and fiber.

Unrelated Note:

Today my plan is to get one or two of my backlogged recipes posted and spend some time in the kitchen. I have a pound of white beans cooking now. I like to make beans ahead of time and keep them in the freezer in 1 cup containers to use like canned beans (which I gave up buying to try to reduce our overall BPA consumption). The white beans will be used for one of my “cream” soups without cream tonight.

Before Dan left for work today he saw the white beans soaking and immediately said, “Are you making white chili? I love your white chili.” (Big smile) Well, I wasn’t going to make white chili but it looks like I am now. He knows how to get his way doesn’t he? It must be nice to be king. ;) As he likes to say, “It is all about him.” Don’t tell him, but it really is all about him. I don’t want it to go to his head.

I will be back later with another recipe as soon as I get a few things accomplished at home. The feline royalty needs to be attended to now. Nothing like cat grooming to make my morning complete, and potentially bloody. Wish me luck.

10 comments:

  1. This looks really really good. I love lemon on things too!
    I had to laugh at the cat grooming, I just cut the dogs' nails. Without a muzzle I could end up bloody too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet,

    Thanks! I am a bit of a lemon addict myself. It turns up in many of my dishes. ;) This is one of my favorite sauces. If you like artichokes you should give it a try. I have been making a version of this for at least 20 years.

    Two cats brushed and no blood yet. But I left the bad cat for last. The felines still have time to win this round.

    I wouldn't even try trimming nails without my hubby. He holds while I cut. Cats don't tend to be as tolerant and cooperative as dogs. At least my little felines aren't cooperative. I shouldn't judge all cats. ;)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dish sounds fantastic. I bet capers would be good in it too. That's definitely the kind of dish when you don't miss cheese. I never would have used pancetta so I wouldn't know the difference LOL. I bet you could use a tempeh bacon though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good.

    Hotmail services are down at the moment...have a good day if I don't get a chance to email.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather,

    Capers are great in this as are olives. But my hubby isn't thrilled with either so sometimes I leave them out for him.

    I wish I had never had pancetta. It is one of those flavors I still miss. The tempeh bacon is an interesting idea. I wonder if I can make my own and season it like pancetta instead of bacon? Great idea. Thanks for the suggestion. This just went on my list of food experiments. :) I love your suggestions!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose,

    Thanks! I thought of you when I was making it, knowing that you love artichokes. Heather had a great suggestion I am going to play with.

    Talk to you later. I hope hotmail comes back up soon.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has all of my favs in it!!!
    I especially love the artichoke aspect of it! Yum Yum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vivacious,

    Artichokes are my favorite too. I hope it gave you an idea or two.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a huge fan of artichokes and I really love how you came up with this dish. YOu're brilliant, Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oraphan,

    This is something I have been making most of my adult life. I am certain their was an original recipe, but I have no idea what it is or where it came from. I hope you like it as much as we do.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails