Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Consuming Sugared Soda May Be Linked to Pancreatic Cancer

According to this abstract of an article published in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention consuming two or more sodas a week appears to double your probability of pancreatic cancer. They think the sugar in the soda is responsible for the increase. However the soda drinkers studied also smoked and consumed red meat. Based on the soda drinkers that I know, they aren’t the most health conscious bunch so that may account for the increase. In either case it is a good reminder that consuming sugar does increase your probability of cancer in general because that is what it feeds on. This is something I always think of when we are tempted to eat food with a high GI index. Having those foods occasionally, and with low GI foods to keep the average down is probably fine absent other risk factors. We are a little more diligent due to the known risk factors we always need to keep in mind.

6 comments:

  1. I saw this report too. Glad I don't consume sodas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shenandoah,

    Exactly what I thought when I read it. Glad I gave them up years ago. I am starting to feel like there is more food off the list (of safe to consume) than on these days.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad we don't drink soda at our house. Thank you for the reminder, Alicia:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oraphan,

    That was my reaction too. I used to love Fresca and drank it all time until I actually read the ingredient label. As soon I realized it was a can of chemicals that was it for me. It can't be good to ingest all those man made ingredients. Imagine what our detox organs are going through when they have to filter that garbage out of our systems. No thanks. I will stick to green tea and water.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too! I'm lucky that I didn't grow up drinking soda and my husband doesn't like soda. Nathan usually orders milk when we eat out, I've noticed that he started to order soda lately and I don't know why I didn't stop him. I just thought oh well once in awhile, let him have a treat. After I read this article, I think I need to talk to him how bad it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oraphan,

    I think it is the sugar in the soda that is responsile for the increase. That being said, sometimes it is easier to pick your battles and let some things slide. None of us do everything right all the time. Having soda in moderation is not the worst vice in the world.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails