Friday, February 26, 2010

Okara Miso Pate


This is my variation of one of Bryanna’s recipes which is found here. Laloofah has mentioned this a few times and asked me if I had tried and of course I hadn’t. Since I normally make almond milk I don’t often have okara to play around with. Curiosity finally got the best of me and I made sprouted soy milk this morning so that I could try this recipe.

I had to make changes, because I am incapable of following recipes, my own or anyone else’s. I used oat flour in place of bread crumbs to thicken the pate. Laloofah told me about a mistake she made using peanut butter in place of tahini that turned out well so I also made that change. I used fewer green onions because I didn’t want a very green pate. When I tasted the pate before adding the herbs it was very good so I left them out. Here is what I did.

Okara Miso Pate
Makes 10 servings of 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) each

Ingredients:

¼ cup oats, ground into flour in your blender
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup of fresh okara, well drained (the solids that remain when you make fresh soy milk)
4 tablespoons peanut butter
3 tablespoons white miso
Freshly ground white pepper to taste

Directions:

Combine the oat flour, garlic and green onion in your food process and process until the onion and garlic are ground. Add the remaining ingredients and process until completely combined. Add freshly ground pepper to taste. Refrigerate in a covered container for a few hours. Serve with vegetable crudités, crackers, or pita chips.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories 65.85
Calories From Fat (49%) - 32.05

Total Fat - 3.83g
Saturated Fat - 0.76g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 194.97mg
Potassium - 96.75mg
Total Carbohydrates - 5.99g
Fiber - 1.01g
Sugar - 1g
Protein - 2.92g

Comments:

If you haven’t tried Bryanna’s recipe for okara miso pate I highly recommend it. This must be a very versatile recipe given it still turned out after my changes. Next time I am going to add lemon zest and fresh ginger to give this a more Asian taste. There are many variations of this pate I can think of.

Unrelated Note:

I thought we had dodged the bullet with snow yesterday. However, when we got up this morning there was more snow (not much but still snow). I was in quiet a cranky mood this morning due to the snow. Now the snow has turned to flurries. But seriously, when is winter going to end?

I am also making a second okara pate today that I am going to post that later today. The second one is very different in both texture and flavor.  It is based on this recipe.

10 comments:

  1. Does it taste like okra or is the okra more for consistency?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    It is okara (what is leftover from making soy milk) not okra. Okara is very mild and slightly beany tasting. Since that isn't clear in the post I will edit it now. Thanks for letting me know.

    I would say this reminds me of hummus with miso if you can imagine the flavor.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well duh on me - I just read it as okra!! LOL. Sounds much tastier to me now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,

    LOL. I do things like that all the time when reading things quickly!

    This definitely exceeded my expectations. It tastes better than the sum of the parts.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicia!! You left out the HERBS? You heretic! LOL The herbs are my favorite part! Well, along with the miso. Speaking of which, I use a combination of white and dark red miso (half of each). So my paté comes out a brown color.

    I reckon you can do anything you want with the recipe (including making bonehead mistakes like grabbing a jar of peanut butter instead of tahini!) and it still turns out mighty tasty! So Heather, you might as well try making some with okra instead of okara! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lalo,

    LOL! I told you that I like to run with scissors. Between the two of us this is very different from the original recipe. ;)

    Thanks again for the push to make this.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - is changing the recipe this much the first time you make it the culinary equivalent of bungee jumping? :-) (Okay, you adrenaline junkie - but one of these times try putting the scissors down and adding the herbs, just for grins.) :-)

    I'm looking forward to your Asian experiment version!

    By the way, your little white serving plate is SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lalo,

    Okay since you insist I will add the herbs next time just for kicks.

    thanks, and talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you think almond fiber (left over from making almond milk) could also be used in this? Maybe half okara and half almond?

    Love that dish - have to say it was the first thing I noticed. I want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. BJ,

    I think the almond fiber (or pulp as I call it) should work fine as a substitute for okara. I have used almond pulp in place of okara in many recipes and it has aways worked for me. Depending on how dry it is you may need to adjust the thickener (oat flour). Unless you are using blanched almonds (which I don't) to make almond milk the pulp is not as white as okara so the color of the pate will be a little different.

    Sorry for the long winded answer. Great question. If you try it pleaase let me know how it works. I will be curious to hear.

    The little white dish was part of a food gift basket that we received a few holidays ago. Sorry I don't know where you can buy it. I love the texture of the dish too!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails