Thursday, February 11, 2010

Hummus with Ground Flax Seed


I would love to take credit for this idea but it isn’t mine. Yesterday I was chatting with Rose and she mentioned a hummus she made which included ground flax seeds so that she could get her hubby to eat more flax. I thought it was a brilliant idea and immediately asked if she was going to post the recipe. She was too busy so I offered to share the idea, giving her credit of course.

I used my standard fat-free hummus recipe but added 6 tablespoons of finely ground golden flax seeds to the mixture. The flax absorbed some of the liquid so I had to add more to the processor but other than that you couldn’t tell it was there. Adding ground flax is such a great idea I had to share it.

The addition of the flax seeds changes the nutritional information to (assumes the same large serving size):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 254.37
Calories From Fat (22%) - 54.86

Total Fat - 6.43g
Saturated Fat - 0.65g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 309.94mg
Potassium - 397.3mg
Total Carbohydrates - 38.65g
Fiber - 11.93g
Sugar - 6.28g
Protein - 12.7g

Comments:

If you are tired of adding flax seeds to your morning smoothie, oatmeal or salad this is another option. We couldn’t tell they were in there. This is definitely a technique I am going to remember when we get tired of having fruit smoothies with flax seeds for breakfast.

18 comments:

  1. Rose,

    Thank you for dreaming it up! Such a great idea. It had to be shared. :)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy. I'm always looking for ways to sneak more flax into our diet. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessed mama,

    I am always looking for new ways to incorporate flax too. That is why I knew this needed to be shared. Rose had such a great idea!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love using ground flax seed in all sorts of recipes. Most of the time you never know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather,

    I would love to hear where you are adding flaxseeds. I know you use them in your breads, are there other types of recipes where you are adding them?

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to incorporate flax!!! Ingenius really! I am going to make my hummus this way from now on!! Good job, Rose and Vegan Epicurean!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vivacious,

    I thought Rose's idea was brilliant! Glad you liked it too.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alicia, I add ground flax to just about all of my veggie patties (lentil burgers, eggplant patties, etc.) as well. Supposedly it can act as a binder. Still out on that, but at least it adds nutritional value.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather,

    Thanks for sharing the veggie pattie tip. I am always looking for new places to incorporate flax seeds. :)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful alicia and rose:) thanks for sharing hugs to you both

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leslie,

    Glad you like the idea too. :)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! I am eating hummus with red pepper and broccoli sprouts right now, and just added flax seed to it! Fabulous, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janet,

    I had some of this for lunch myself. The ground flax just disappears, which really surprised me.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Alicia!

    It really is such a brilliant idea! I've been trying to add ground flax seed into my diet and I'm tired of adding flax seed in my smoothie or oatmeal. So I forget to use it most of the time.
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe:)

    P.S. Just a quick stop to say hi and I will be back on Sunday, I've been very busy with work (Valentine's Day = busy time for retail stores). Talk to you soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oraphan,

    I know what you mean about flax seed. We are doing the same thing here. I was also happy to have another place to add it in.

    Sorry to hear you are swamped at work.

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adding flax to hummus is a great idea -- thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beatrice,

    You are welcome. Glad you like it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails