Thursday, February 4, 2010

Do You Wash Your Triple Washed Greens?


Here is a disturbing article regarding the bacteria level in prewashed greens. Please note it didn’t matter whether the greens were baby, organic or how they were packaged. Thirty-nine percent (39%) tested positive for bacteria. More disconcerting there are no federal standards for bacteria level but the industry determined standards (translation inadequate) was exceeded 39% of the time in the samples tested.

I don’t know about any of you. But the next time I am tempted to not wash and spin my lettuce or spinach dry, I will remember this. If you have elderly family members, children or anyone with a compromised immune system in your house this is even more important.

On this cheery note, I need to run. I will be back later. I hope you are all having a great day.

8 comments:

  1. Disturbing. I always wash loose heads of lettuce but never wash ready-to-eat salad mix. We buy that because it's supposed to be washed and read-to-eat. Do you wash salad mix?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,

    I thought it was disturbing too! I haven't always washed the triple rewashed "ready-to-eat" greens (included salad mix) in the past. However, I will be washing them now. I had no idea how often they contained bacteria.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup i wash mine alicia. i also wash the outside of squashes and the like before cutting into them! good article to share, thank you dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie,

    I don't know why I tend to get lazy with the pre-washed greens, but it has been known to happen. But not any more. Just the though of all that bacteria is creeping me out.

    Good point about other produce. For some reason I always wash those, no consistency (can't explain it).

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer to use loose heads of greens rather than pre-washed packages, but I have been using packages of organic baby spinach, and not washing them. No more; thanks for the heads up on this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet,

    I think the triple washed packaged greens made us all relax too much. I won't use it unwashed any more either.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I visited my friend who works for the CDC, she told me I should definitely wash the greens (whether they see pre-washed or not). She said she'd read enough to be quite convinced it was necessary. Since then, I wash away. Thanks for bringing this important information to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roia,

    Thank you for sharing what you heard. If someone that works for the CDC washes her prewashed greens that says a lot.

    No more skipping that important step at my house, ;)
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails