Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mushroom Powder


Have you ever been in a gourmet market and seen the very expensive little containers of porcini powder and thought about buying them? Well I have and now I feel a bit silly for doing so. It is so easy to make your own mushroom powder you are going to wonder why you haven’t been doing this for years. Once I realized how easy it is to make I have been making it home. I use it to coat tofu, stir into mashed potatoes, use in cheeze. I also like to make porcini salt which is porcini powder and sea salt. The ideas are endless.

All you need are dried mushrooms (any variety) and some way to pulverize them. Most often I use my Vitamix because I can do it in one step. Add the dried mushrooms to the Vitamix and process until you have powder. It is that simple. However if you don’t have a Vitamix, you can start them in your food processor to make much smaller chunks and move those to your spice grinder (in my case a coffee grinder I have reserved for spices, seeds and mushroom powder). It works just as well, but I use my Vitamix so I only have one appliance to clean.

The mushroom powder is going to tonight’s seitan so I wanted to let you know how I make it. If you find a unique way to use it please let me know. I would love to hear about it.

7 comments:

  1. I bet this would be good in lots of things...a great kitchen staple...thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    It is great in any sort of breading. I have used it with panko to make a nice mushroomy crust.

    I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been doing this for years--it is SUCH a good idea, right?!? I love your idea of using it in a cheeze sauce recipe...I am going to have to try it :-)

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet this would be fantastic as a coating for cashew tofu.
    You ROCK Vegan Epicurean!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courtney,

    Did you stumble on this idea too? I have been making it for about 18 months or so. Right after I bought some and decided it couldn't be that hard to make.

    How do you use it? I would love to know.

    Vivacious,

    Glad you like the idea. It has many uses once you have it on hand. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

    Michelle,

    Please do let me know what you make with it. I would be very curious to know.

    Happy Valentine's Day to you too!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails