Friday, February 19, 2010

Breakfast today


I like to start the day with as much nutrition as possible. But when it is cold outside it is hard to have a smoothie for breakfast. So that we have the best of both worlds (warm food and nutrition) we have been having oatmeal and fresh juice recently for breakfast.

The oatmeal is very simple. I cook ½ cup of old fashioned oats and 1 cup of water in the microwave. I top the oatmeal with a generous amount of cinnamon (to provide antioxidants and help with glucose absorption), about  ½ teaspoon of agave, ½ a banana and a few walnuts. It helps me to feel warm from the inside which is great when it is 30 degrees outside.  Will Spring ever get here?


For nutrition we had a quick fruit and veggie juice. Into our juicer I added an apple, 1/3 of a lemon, 4 carrots, 4 cups of baby spinach and ½ inch of fresh ginger.  This makes enough juice for two.  It looks crazy with the green liquid and orange foam but it tastes great. I also love knowing that we are getting the nutrition of the spinach first thing in the morning.  And most important to me, even my picky hubby likes it.

To go with this we had our minced garlic clove in keeping with the article from yesterday. As always I smashed the garlic and allowed it to stand for 10 minutes so the allicin could develop and then minced it finely so we could swallow it like a pill. The intensity of chewing raw garlic is too much, even for me. I do cut the garlic very finely so that we absorb as much as possible. If you are on any blood thinners check with your doctor before adding garlic to your diet since it is also known to thin the blood.

Unrelated note:

I did get the almond milk yogurt thickened last night before bed. I plan to have that today for lunch. However, I already know I will need to tweak the recipe at a minimum. It takes far too long to make now. But I have some ideas for streamlining the process. However, the most important part is the taste and texture so I will update you on that later today and let you know the process so far.

For now it is time to exercise and do a few things around the house. I hope you are all having a good day.

10 comments:

  1. Really lovely breakfast! Love the photo too, very warming in itself :) You must have some sunshine over there today, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    Thanks! We enjoyed the breakfast, particularly the juice. I think we are becoming fresh juice addicts. ;)

    Good eye, we do have plenty of sunshine today. I took that pic at about 8am so that will give you an idea of the light.

    It may still be cold, but at least the sun is out. Now if we can just get the snow to melt, I will be a happy girl.

    hope you have a great Friday,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also use a ton of cinnamon in my oatmeal. In fact, as I was dumping it out this morning I started wondering if I was going a wee bit overboard. LOL. Love bananas on oatmeal too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,

    I don't measure my cinnamon but I imagine it is at least a 1/2 teaspoon. With all the health benefits of cinnamon I don't think you can use too much. ;)

    We love bananas and nut butter on oatmeal. But my hubby tends to go over board on walnut butter. I am going to need to reduce the Brazil nuts in the walnut butter so he can have it with his breakfast and afternoon snack. No complaints though, there are worse problems to deal with.

    I have the raw cookies in now (with the apple, carrot and ginger pulp from juicing). They taste great before being dried, so I think they will be good. No idea how long they will be in the dehydrator though. They are pretty thick so it may take until tonight.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. ½ cup of old fashioned oats

    you split that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle,

    I can see how you would think that, but no. I made 1/2 cup for me and 2/3 cup for Dan. We only split the juice. ;)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol GOOD! i was looking at your picture and then i start to read and all i could concentrate on was how you cooked 1/2 cup of oats...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle,

    LOL, you always make me laugh! That is such a good thing. You remind me very much of myself from a while ago. ;)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm...oatmeal IS perfect on a cold winter's day. I made some yesterday (it was in the 50s here, which is downright frigid for Miami Beach!) with cinnamon, agave, ground flax seeds, bananas, and blueberries. It was the perfect hearty breakfast before braving the wind as I rode my bicycle to the yoga studio! ;) But I missed having a smoothie...again, you're really making me want to invest in a juicer!

    LJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. LJ,

    We love oatmeal when it is cold. Although our definition of cold is a little different. It was in the 20's most mornings this week. Brrrr.

    This is our favorite juice so far. I made another batch of it tonight after dinner. I think we are becoming juice addicted. ;)

    If you had asked me about a juicer six months ago I would have said they aren't necessary. Now I love mine! Go figure.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails