Sunday, February 7, 2010

Vegetable and Cheeze filled Nori Wraps

As those of you that read often know I have been trying to reduce our flour consumption. Friday night I made a little appetizer that used nori in place of bread of a cracker.

First I made an easy nut cheeze. This is another method, rather than recipe. I combined raw pumpkins seeds, raw cashews and raw macadamia nuts until I had one cup total of nuts. Next, the nuts were soaked in 2 cups of filtered water for a few hours. I drained the nuts and moved them to the food processor. Next I added a peeled garlic clove, two tablespoons of white miso and turned the machine on. I drizzled water into the processor until I liked the texture of the cheeze. You may need to stop the food processer and scrape the sides of the bowl. Taste again for seasonings and adjust as necessary.

Smear the cheeze on the nori and add whatever veggies you like (we used red pepper strips and avocado). I also added a few raw sesame seeds for texture. Roll the nori like sushi and slice into bite size pieces and eat. If you have felines be aware they seem to be attracted to nori. We ended up eating our nori rolls standing up to keep the felines at bay.

I wouldn’t call this sushi, but it is similar to sushi. It would also be good with wasabi in the cheeze if you like spicy food. This will be something that I make again. It was easy and different. It solved two issues for us, no bread and more sea vegetables.  We thought it was a winning concept worth sharing.

7 comments:

  1. Those look pretty tasty to me. Oddly enough, I love heat, but not wasabi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    They were a little messy, but they tasted good.

    I am the only one in our house that likes wasabi. The hubby doesn't like it either which is why I left it out.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea...I love the idea of wasabi in the 'cheese'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    How did I know you would like the wasabi too? I like the spicy green stuff and the way it opens my entire head.

    Unrelated note, have you tried wasabi in mashed potatoes? Amazing! I am the only one that likes that here but it sure is good. ;)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried wasabi mashed potatoes, but I've seen recipes for it...I like to add a bit of horseradish to mash...it's more or less the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose,

    Good point about the horseradish. I need to remember that when I run out of wasabi. Thanks for sharing!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your nori wraps look so yummy, Alicia! I love this idea so much, I just had a sushi party at my house last week and I thought rice made everyone feels full so fast, I should find a way to make sushi rolls with no rice. This is such a great idea and it sounds very healthy which everyone always concerns about nowadays!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails