Saturday, February 6, 2010

Banana Soft Serve with Walnut Butter Swirl


This is another post about a method rather than a recipe. It is something I saw on Dr. Kim’s blog. He used frozen bananas to make a pie filling. As soon as I saw it I thought why not just skip the crust and make ice cream. Since we bought a masticating juicer as one of our healthy Christmas presents I knew I wanted to try this. I have been suggesting it to Dan every few days and he was completely uninterested. Today I decided I was making the “banana ice cream” whether he wanted it or not.

Tonight I put the blank plate into the juicer and grabbed the bananas from the freezer. I had frozen very ripe bananas (peeled) in a Ziploc bag weeks ago so that I could make this. I took bananas from the freezer and stuffed them into the chute on the juicer and an unnatural looking extruding mass came out the front of the machine. It wasn’t too appealing looking but I persisted with the entire bag (about 6 bananas). I tried the bananas and to my amazement it was the taste and texture of banana ice cream. The texture was so perfect I could not believe it. I then added a swirl of my homemade cinnamon walnut butter. To say this was good doesn’t do it justice. OMG this was amazing. Even my husband, who is not a banana lover, offered to go to the store for more bananas after a few bites. We didn’t need any bananas, but it was that good that he was willing to trek through the 30 plus inches of snow for bananas.

If you have a masticating juicer you really need to try this. We are both completely besotted by this concoction, as my new friend Laloofah would say. We will be making more of this very soon (as soon as we run out actually). This is absolutely mind blowingly delicious. Laloofah tells me you can make this with frozen bananas and a food processor with a little non-dairy milk if you don't have a masticating juicer.

13 comments:

  1. Frozen banana is amazing...the texture is so lovely. The combination with the walnut butter sounds absolutely delicious.

    I've made frozen banana "ice cream" like this only with a regular food processor, just slice up the frozen bananas and blitz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    Thanks so much for sharing how you made this without a juicer. I was so amazed by how good this is. The texture is perfect.

    You are right, the hubby really liked the walnut butter swirl. He wants me to add a chocolate swirl to the next batch.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your banana ice cream looks and sounds fantastic! I don't have the masticating juicer but I'll try with a food processor. I'm curious to find out how Nathan likes it because he's not a banana lover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It probably goes without saying (but I'm saying it anyway) that I adore this post! :-) I'm thrilled that you enjoyed this treat so much! Welcome to the blissful world of the frozen banana besotted. ;-) I can think of no more powerful endorsement of this creamy, delicious concoction than someone who doesn't like bananas being willing to trudge through nearly 3 feet of snow to buy more bananas in order to eat more ice cream during a blizzard! LOL! I love it! And I have swiped the almond pie crust recipe from the blog you shared, in my endeavor to find a non-soggy, no-added fat replacement for graham cracker crust. I'm off to check out your walnut butter swirl recipe next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, Alicia, that looks and sounds so decadent and delicious. I'm going to freeze some bananas right now!

    LJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oraphan,

    Dan isn't a banana lover, but the walnut butter made a difference for him. The next batch will have a chocolate swirl (per Dan's request). I will post that recipe when I make it in case Nathan likes chocolate.

    Lalo,

    Dan was so shocked that he loved this (not being a banana lover). One taste and he was sold on the idea. Thanks for the encouragement to go ahead and make it whether he wanted it or not. ;)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. LJ,

    It is so good I don't think my description does it justice. Make certain you have very ripe bananas since they are sweeter. I think you will really like this, we did.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I have been suggesting it to Dan every few days and he was completely uninterested" that line got me laughing:) now on to your other posts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle,

    My hubby can be very stubborn and picky. He decided he wouldn't like it before he tried it. However, he has already had another bowl today ..... so it couldn't have been too bad.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds so good. I don't know why, but I have been really craving bananas lately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heather,

    My hubby, the one who isn't wild about bananas, told me today we would be going through many more bananas now. He had another bowl with his lunch.

    You should try this it is really tasty. My next version will have both a walnut butter and chocolate swirl, per a request from the hubby.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it funny how he was indifferent at first, then AFTER you just go ahead and make it, he's all into it?! MEN! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heather,

    Not only is he all over it, he has eaten it all. He had a second bowl today after dinner. And this from the man that doesn't like banana. Now he needs to wait for the bananas we have at home to get ripe before he can have more. I will never understand men.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails