Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bean and/or Starch Seasoning Sachet


I started a pot of black beans this afternoon so we have them for our lunch salads this week and a few extra for dinner tonight. As I was doing this in occurred to me that I do something perfunctorily that I have not written about before. This is something I do when I am in autopilot mode so it didn’t occur to me to share it, until today.

Some time back I bought this nifty little device that is a reusable sachet. It is easier to use than twine to tie herb bouquets or cheesecloth for sachets. It is very easy to clean, and has lasted thorough many uses at our house.

I use it all time to add flavor to food that I would have previously added salt or fat to where I want to remove the seasonings at the end of cooking. For beans I always add a couple of garlic cloves that were smashed, a few bay leaves and whole black peppercorns. I use the same seasoning for plain rice or potatoes. If you are making rice for an Asian or Indian dish you can change the seasonings to suit the cuisine. The beauty of this device is that you don’t have to fish out the bay leaves or herb stems when you are finished cooking.  There is a chain on the device that you attach to the side of the pot.

I wanted to share this idea before it fell out of my head. Both Dan and I think it adds nice flavor and aroma to foods that could otherwise be bland without salt or oil.

Unrelated note:

I have a black bean, veggie and brown rice casserole with cashew queso planned for dinner tonight. I hope to get that posted before bed. The hubby is working late again tonight so dinner may be so late the post has to wait until tomorrow.

I hope you are all having a great day.

12 comments:

  1. cant wait to see that dinner.and thanks for the tips:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,

    Dinner is an easy one. You can make the components separately then combine and reheat. I think you will like it. It is one of my no fuss dinners.

    The garlic, bay and black pepper adds a lot to rice and potatoes. But you can taste the difference in beans as well.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great idea, thanks for the tip...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I'll have to look for one of those. I hope all is well with you, Alicia. I'm feeling sorry for myself, so it's good to stop by my blogging buddy's site. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose,

    You are welcome. I use this all the time. It adds a lovely fragrance and subtle flavor to otherwise bland rice. But it is light enough to not compete. I used it again tonight when I made the rice for my rice and bean dinner dish tonight.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blessed mama,

    Glad you liked it. I will send you an email in a few minutes.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need one of these contraptions!! love it. I'm officially on the lookout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah,

    I think you will love it. I use it everyday. Yesterday I used it twice, for the beans and later the rice. I may pick up a second one.

    I think I bought it at one of the cooking shops at the outlet mall in Leesburg, Va. Can't remember which shop though or I would share that. I think it was one of the national chains.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a really cool gadget, and I have a thing for kitchen gadgets;-) Must find one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet,

    I have a love affair with kitchen gadgets too! This is one of the more useful ones I have purchased. It is amazing how often I used it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of a reusable sachet -- I am going to have to look for one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beatrice,

    I use this little gadget on average once a day. It is very handy to have. I hope you find one too.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails