Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Green Tea and Soy


I have mentioned before that I have a small handful of roasted edamame when I drink my green tea. However, I had not given you the links to the articles that started this practice at our house. So I wanted to share those while I was thinking about it. Before you ask, this did occur to me as I was getting a mug of tea and a few edamame.

After reading that the very conservative Laboratory of Nutrition and Metabolism at Harvard wrote, “Our study suggests that soy phytochemicals plus green tea may be used as a potentially effective dietary regime for inhibiting progression of estrogen dependent breast cancer” I knew I needed to pay attention and put this into practice. Another study by the same group of scientists found a similar reduction of prostate cancer.  Here is the link to the abstract regarding breast cancer and the one regarding prostate cancer.  A more recent article by the same scientists studied the same combination of soy and green tea but looked at metabolic syndrome.  The article does a nice job of explaining why this combination may work, including a reduction in IGF-1 (a known tumor promoter).  That article is found here.

The bottom line of the studies is that preliminary animal testing suggestions that soy and green tea are more powerful nutritionally when consumed together. Since I read this we have been trying to have a handful of roasted edamame when I am having green tea. My husband and I don’t drink much soy milk or I may have tried adding that to the tea. Either way, it can’t hurt having a little soy with your tea.

6 comments:

  1. solution: green tea-soy lattes. believe me, they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vixen,

    I agree green tea soy lattes are great when I am out. However I can't imagine myself making enough soy milk for 12 lattes a day (since they hubby and I drink a minimum of 6 each per day). It would be a nice weekend beverage to have though.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I should use my Italian coffee maker for something other than making hot water for tea. Maybe I will make chai green tea lattes and get the antioxidant boost from the spices too.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your research and comments regarding cancer prevention. I've lost family members to cancer, and am very close to someone that is in remission: we want to keep it that way! Keep up the great work. Love your recipes too, by the way ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ccrock,

    I am sorry to hear you have been touched by cancer too. Cancer is a terrible disease. I hope your friend remains in remission. I was reading an interesting article on cancer today that I need to share.

    If you would like book recommendations please let me know. This is a topic I have spent much time researching, and there have been a few stand out books on the topic, in my opinion.

    Also, if there is anything specifically you are interested in send me an email, or comment here. If I have any information on the subject I would be happy to share what I know.

    have a good evening,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both green tea and edamame but I have never had them at the same time! I'm so glad to learn more about them. Thank you for sharing the links to great articles, Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oraphan,

    I try to always have a little soy when I have my green tea. It was difficult to remember at first, but now it is a habit. My thought is that it may be helping so why not.

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails