Saturday, December 26, 2009

Genovese Green Beans with Pesto



This recipe is one that I served on Christmas with the lasagna. It is a family favorite. In Genoa they make lasagna with potatoes, green beans and basil pesto. Pesto works just as well with the green beans alone. When I want a quick veggie side with a ton of flavor I make this. Since I always keep basil pesto in the freezer this comes together quickly. Here is our favorite green bean recipe.

Genovese Green Beans with Pesto
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:

8 cups frozen organic green beans
3 tablespoons Genovese pesto

Directions:

Steam the green beans until they are tender crisp (about 5 minutes). Toss the green beans with pesto and serve hot or at room temperature. If desired you can sprinkle some toasted pine nuts on top.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 113.64
Calories From Fat (38%) - 43.33

Total Fat- 4.7g
Saturated Fat - 0.54g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 13.5mg
Potassium - 489.7mg
Total Carbohydrates - 16.26g
Fiber - 7.65g
Sugar - 3.2g
Protein - 4.54g

Comments:

If you like pesto you will like this recipe. It is a vegetable dish packed with flavor. Each serving of this recipe contains approximately 1,700IU of vitamin A, 90mg of calcium, 85mcg of folate, 50mcg of vitamin K, 100mg of phosphorus, and 65mg of magnesium.

Unrelated note:

This is going to be it for me tonight. I hope to get a few more of the backlogged recipes posted tomorrow.

My husband actually had a dinner request for tomorrow. We will be having beefy seitan cutlets, herbed spaetzle, and wilted red cabbage. It is somehow comforting to have some idea of what I am cooking tomorrow. I hope you all had a great day.

4 comments:

  1. Oh this looks fabulous. I love green beans and I love pesto. So I imagine I'd love love love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    Thanks! I love the taste of this combination. But, I especially love how quick and easy this recipe is to put together. It is also great tossed with pasta.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! This green beans with pesto looks so yummy and healthy! Can't wait to give it a try, thanks for quick and easy recipe, Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oraphan,

    You are right this is very quick and easy. A perfect veggie side for a quick weeknight meal.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails