Saturday, December 26, 2009

Tangerine Banana and Cranberry Juice



The last few days have been absolutely insane at our house, but in a very good way. We have been celebrating since mid-day on Christmas Eve and having a fabulous time I might add.

We started Christmas Eve with our friends Jackie and Walid at their place until well after midnight. We spent the evening talking and eating, just having a great time celebrating. I made a few vegan appetizers to take with us which Jackie and Walid also liked, which was exciting since neither of them, is vegetarian. In fact Walid wants me to give Jackie the recipes so I know he liked them. I made a queso dip, my fat free hummus and whole-wheat flat bread. These dishes came together as I used to cook before the blog. I didn’t measure except to the bread, which is posted here. This means I will need to remake the queso and hummus and measure so I can give the recipes to Jackie. When I do I will post them here.

Last night we had Neapolitan lasagna for dinner and it was by far my best vegan lasagna yet. This recipe I did measure everything for this recipe and will be posting soon (hopefully today). My husband is already asking me to make more lasagna. He was telling me this morning it would make a great lunch item for next week.

We got moving so late yesterday that we missed breakfast. Since we only had lunch and dinner we decided to have a little juice snack in the evening. I thought we were a little light on our fruit consumption and that is why I made this specific combination last night. I added wheat germ and flaxseeds for healthy anti-inflammatory fat. For now here is the juice we has last night after dinner.

Tangerine Banana and Cranberry Juice
Serves 3 (or a large for the hubby and a small for me)

Ingredients:

1 banana, peeled
2 tangerines, peeled and seeds removed
¼ cup whole cranberries (I used frozen)
1 regular sized organic carrot, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons wheat germ
2 tablespoons ground golden flaxseeds
1 inch fresh ginger, sliced thinly
¼ teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
1 scoop stevia

Directions:

Place everything in your blender and process until smooth. I used my Vitamix, but any blender should work with this although you may want to cut your carrots into smaller pieces if not using a high-powered blender.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 147.88
Calories From Fat (21%) - 31.34

Total Fat - 3.67g
Saturated Fat - 0.44g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 24.7mg
Potassium - 417.42mg
Total Carbohydrates - 28.36g
Fiber - 6.27g
Sugar - 13.5g
Protein - 3.83g

Comments:

This juice was light and refreshing. We thought it was a great juice to have last night after dinner for a little added nutrition. Each serving of this juice contains approximately 5,000IU of vitamin A, and 8 mcg of selenium. Next time I may add a brazil nut to the juice to increase the selenium.

The juice is lightly sweet and tastes mostly of citrus. It is a beautiful peach color with a little flecks of cranberry running through the juice. Ginger gives the juice a nice little zip in the background. There is a background hint of cinnamon.

Unrelated note:

It is going to take me a few days to get caught up on posting. However, except for Christmas Eve I did record and photograph everything so I only need to write the posts and calculation the nutritionals.

We had a very healthy Christmas at our house this year. Almost all the presents under the tree were related to healthy cooking or living. I can’t wait to have a little time to learn to use some of my “new toys”. I hope you all had a great happy and healthy holiday.

I will be back soon with a recipe or two before dinner.

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails