Monday, December 14, 2009

E2L Cauliflower, Tomato and Onion



Since my salad today was clearly too low in calories and nutrition I made a quick cauliflower dish to have after the salad.

I combined tomato with the cauliflower for added nutrition. Since cauliflower is part of the same family as broccoli I assume that combining tomato with cauliflower will have the beneficial impact it does with broccoli. If not, at least it tasted good. Everything in this is good for your health and particular for preventing cancer. Here is what I made this afternoon.

E2L Cauliflower, Tomato and Onion
Serves 1

Ingredients:

½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly slice (allow to stand 10 minutes so allicin can develop)
1 cup canned tomatoes
½ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon coriander seed
¼ teaspoon cumin seed
¼ teaspoon black mustard seed
1 pinch red pepper flakes
6 cups cauliflower florets

Directions:

Cook the onion and garlic with the canned tomatoes and spices until the onion and garlic are soft. Then add the cauliflower and cook until it is tender crisp. You want to cook the cauliflower as little as possible to maximize the nutrition you absorb.

Serve hot.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 223.04
Calories From Fat (6%) - 12.73

Total Fat - 1.52g
Saturated Fat - 0.21g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 526.94mg
Potassium - 2386.37mg
Total Carbohydrates - 47.72g
Fiber - 18.64g
Sugar - 21.57g
Protein - 14.91g

Comments:

I will definitely say that after eating the salad and this cauliflower dish I couldn’t eat another bite if I tried. I am completely full on less than 350 calories. That is one of the things about this plan that is so fascinating. I can’t imagine how someone wouldn’t lose weight following this methodology.

This veggie dish contained approximately 2,400mg of potassium, 300mg of vitamin C, 240mg of calcium, 370mcg of folate, 100mcg of vitamin K, 340mg of phosphorus, 130mg of magnesium and 6mcg of selenium. That really is a lot of nutrition for 225 calories.

Unrelated note:

I need to get back to my to do list. I have a lot more to do this afternoon before the hubby gets home.

Tonight I will be making something with the fresh truffles. I don’t know what yet, but something. It may be something simple like pasta with truffles. Not exactly E2L approved but my friend and I haven’t actually started the 6-week intensive plan yet. I have been eating this way and posting the meals to give her ideas for when we officially start.

I hope you are all having a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow--I *love* cauliflower and the spices you used sound amazing...I have a cauliflower in my fridge and am making this tomorrow!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I've just looked at your two lunch dishes, and they look great! (I was also going to comment on something from the breakfast, but now I've forgotten.) Anyhow, does the author of this plan provide a fat-free dressing, or are you supposed to leave the salads plain? The tomatoes could provide a "wetness." I know with Mexican salads, I just use salsa. And, cauliflower, can't go wrong with cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm back re: the breakfast. Yes, I was referring to VitaMix; I just wasn't sure if I should use the name, but since you did, I will. Have you used it for juicing? Does it work well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney,

    I hope you like the cauliflower dish. It was nice and spicy ... just the way I like it.

    Blessedmama,

    The author does suggest some salad dressings and I should try one of them tomorrow, which my own twist of course. I will do that on my next salad and post it.

    I love using my Vitamix for juices and smoothies. That is probably how it gets used the most at my house.

    My favorites are frozen fruit smoothies. I toss the frozen fruit and water or non dairy milk in the blender and let it rip. They come out thick and cold like what you purchase out.

    My hubby and I often joke that the Vitamix gets used more than my stove. That is how much we use it. I know you will love it, I know we do.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails