Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Mexican Soy Hot Chocolate



There are times when hot chocolate is the only thing that will satisfy a craving. When I am having one of those moments this is the hot chocolate I make. I was really surprised when I checked the blog and it wasn’t there. I don’t know how this didn’t get posted sooner.

I add cornstarch to the soymilk to make the hot chocolate a little thicker. The thickness makes me feel as though this chocolate is a little more indulgent. Cinnamon works wonderfully in hot chocolate and I have been adding that for years. Cayenne is something I began adding a few years ago and I like the little bit of heat on the back of my tongue when I am drinking the chocolate. You can sweetener your chocolate with anything. I use stevia since I am trying to be good. Agave would have tasted better, but since it isn’t as good for me I used stevia. Here is what I made.

Mexican Soy Hot Chocolate
Serves 1

Ingredients:

1 cup soymilk
½ tablespoon cornstarch
½ tablespoon cocoa powder
1 scoop stevia (or sweetener of your choice)
¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ground (or to taste)
1 dash cayenne (or to taste)

Directions:

Combine the cold soymilk and cornstarch and whisk to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and heat until the milk thickens, about 2 or 3 minutes.

Serve hot and enjoy. Finish the hot chocolate with a sprinkle of cinnamon and/or cayenne if desired.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 96.5
Calories From Fat (21%) - 20.5

Total Fat - 2.4g
Saturated Fat - 0.66g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 120.12mg
Potassium - 246.95mg
Total Carbohydrates - 16.71g
Fiber - 1.57g
Sugar - 7.13g
Protein - 4.48g

Comments:

This is my favorite hot chocolate. I like that it is thick and complex. The heat at the end of the drink is subtle but really nice and warming.

Unrelated note:

I took a break from cleaning to have a quick cup of cocoa before I got but to the drudgery. Cleaning really isn’t my favorite activity, but it needs to be done, so I do it. But I don’t have to enjoy do I? No one would ever mistake me for Martha Stewart. ;)

Tonight I am making something else with fresh truffle, although I haven’t decided exactly what yet. There is also a fall wheat berry and fruit salad in the refrigerator I will post later today.

I hope you are all having a great day. Talk to you later this afternoon.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I could drink your Mexican Soy Hot Chocolate this very moment.LOve that you have added some Cayenne to it. Will try it soon..I hear you when you talk about Cleaning.I feel the same. Add to that an energetic 2 yr old who thinks the house is his playground..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big soymilk fan, but I am looking forward to making hot cocoa with nondairy milk. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dolly,

    Please do try the hot chocolate with cayenne. It adds a nice little something in the background that I love.

    Cleaning. Blah! Not my favorite at all. I have three bounding long hair felines that should be bald for all the hair they shed. They also think the house is a playground.

    Good luck keeping up with your little one.

    Brigid,

    This works equally well with almond milk, which is how I make it most of the time. I just happen to have soymilk today.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by. Love your blog. I was wondering what to make with the soy milk that was lying in my refrigerator.. Now I know what to do.. thanks for the wonderful recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  5. RV,

    Thanks, I love your blog too. I will definitely be stopping by often.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails