Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Baby Bok Choy with Fermented Black Bean Sauce and Cashews



When we stopped at Wegman’s last night after dinner the baby bok choy looked so fresh that I felt I needed to buy 4 and figure out what to do with them later. This is normally how I grocery shop. I buy what looks good and figure it out later. For some reason I didn’t really give dinner any thought today so we had a “fusion” meal, which is what I call it when I mix different cultures in one meal.

As always I lightly cooked the bok choy (since it is part of the cruciferous vegetable family) so that it would retain the maximum amount of nutrition. I added the black bean sauce and mirin for flavor and the cashews for texture. Here is the Asian inspired bok choy dish we had tonight.

Baby Bok Choy with Fermented Black Bean Sauce and Cashews
Serves 2

Ingredients:

4 baby bok choy, cut in half top to bottom
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 tablespoon fermented black bean sauce
1 tablespoon mirin (or use rice wine vinegar sweetened with a little agave or stevia)
1 tablespoon cashews, or to taste

Direction:

Run water through the inside of the cut baby bok choy to remove any grit that may have accumulated. Pat dry the bok choy halves.

Add the canola oil to skillet and place the bok choy in the skillet cut side down. Cook on high for three or four minutes, until just tender. Now plate the bok choy.

Whisk together the fermented black bean sauce and mirin and drizzle over each plate. Top with cashews and serve hot.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 78.82
Calories From Fat (48%) - 37.96

Total Fat - 5.02g
Saturated Fat - 0.6g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 652.22mg
Potassium - 430.67mg
Total Carbohydrates - 9.62g
Fiber - 2.03g
Sugar - 3.37g
Protein - 3.26g

Comments:

If you weren’t watching your carb intake as closely as we are this would be good over brown rice. The bok choy was a little crisp but cut easily with a knife. It had good flavor from the black bean sauce and mirin.

Each serving of this dish contained approximately 6,250IU of vitamin A, 150mg of calcium, 95mg of folate, 65mcg of vitamin K, and 70mg of phosphorus. How about that nutrition for less than 80 calories?

Unrelated note:

The hubby pulled the dehydrator out of the box and set it up for me. He is such a good guy. The dehydrator is smaller than I expected, but in a good way. I just can’t decide what I am going to make first. Now I am wishing that we were going to be home tomorrow to play with it. I am just like a little kid with a new toy sometimes (this is one of those times).

It is getting late here so I am going to call it a night soon. I hope you all have a wonderful evening.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks absolutely amazing! Baby Bok Choy and black bean sauce sound so good together. What a perfect combination! This dish actually could have been called "Easy Veggie" because it sounds so quick and easy to cook. I really loved it!

    (Baby bok choy is my hubby's favorite veggie, I can't wait to make this dish for him).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum. I love baby bok choy but always get in a rut of how to serve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oraphan

    Thanks! I did think about this recipe for your 50th post contest but wanted to work on a seitan as you requested. It is very quick and easy.

    It is funny that baby bok choy is your hubby's favorite, it is one of my favorites too. I think it is an Italian thing, we all seem to like little vegetables.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,

    I would love to see your favorite way to make baby bok choy. I tend to always cut them in half of quarters and then use a sauce on them.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love baby bok choy, but I always pass it up at the store. Why, who knows!

    I made your queso dip last night we all enjoyed it A LOT! Roomie's mama was really amazed by it. I just had some with my lunch over steamed broccoli and cauliflower, and the rest is going into a layered bean dip for tonight. I'll be posting about it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah,

    Thanks so much for letting me know you all liked the queso. You made my afternoon! I am very happy your roommate's mom liked it too.

    Gotta run, we are going to DC for dinner tonight. I will catch up with you tomorow.

    Have a Happy and Healthy New Year,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks very good, I love cashews.You know what, I don't believe I've ever had baby bok choy! What a horrible vegan I am...I'll have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dani,

    If you like the large bok choy the baby ones are a little more tender and I think sweeter. Not to mention they cook much more quickly.

    I hope you are having a great NYE,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, we typically just end up sauteing it or using it with stir fry veggies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails