Friday, December 11, 2009

Autumnal Salad with Miso Dressing


(pictured: Autumnal Salad without the Walnuts)

As usual we started dinner with a quick salad. We try to have a salad with lunch and dinner to make certain we eat enough raw veggies each day for nutritional reasons. I love salad in the summer time but it isn’t as appealing when the temperature is below freezing outside. I had some nice autumn fruit and thought that would make a good salad with the baby arugula I had in the refrigerator. Arugula is something I always buy when it looks nice since it is a member of the cruciferous family with the same cancer fighting properties of broccoli. Here is the salad I made to go with dinner tonight.

Autumnal Salad with Miso Dressing
Serves 2

Ingredients:

1 ½ tablespoons white miso
½ tablespoon walnut oil
2 tablespoons mirin
3 clementine, peeled and segmented
2 apples cored and thinly sliced
6 cups baby arugula, cleaned and spun dry
1 tablespoon dried cranberries
2 tablespoons walnuts

Directions:

Combine the miso, walnut oil and mirin and whisk to combine.

Place the clementine, apple and arugula in the dressing and toss.

Plate the dresssed salad and top with dried cranberries and walnuts and serve.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 309.19
Calories From Fat (26%) - 80.71

Total Fat - 10.15g
Saturated Fat - 1.01g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 501mg
Potassium - 741.41mg
Total Carbohydrates - 60.55g
Fiber - 8.56g
Sugar - 26.75g
Protein - 5.5g

Comments:

Each time I make the miso dressing I wonder why I don't make it everyday. This really is a fantastic salad dressing. It works so well with a green salad with fruit.

One serving of this salad contains approximately 1,500IU of vitamin A, 70mg of vitamin C, 160mg of calcium, 100mg of folate, 70mcg of vitamin K, 115mg of phosphorus, and 65mg of magnesium.

Unrelated note:

This salad was so filling I almost didn’t make anything else for dinner. However, I thought we needed the protein so I also seared a couple slices of the slow cooked seitan from yesterday and added ruby chard with garlic chips and balsamic glaze. I will post the chard recipe next.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Yum!!! I really love the look of this salad! Another quick and easy recipe that I've been looking for, can't wait to give it a try!

    P.S. I love the way you sliced the apples, it does look yummy and inviting:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so my kind of meal! I have miso and I keep forgetting to try making your salad dressing out of it. Today I go shopping and stock up on produce, so I will definitely be trying it tonight. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oraphan,

    Thanks again for posting your miso salad dressing. The hubby and I are offically hooked on miso dressing now.

    Janet,

    I think you are really going to like this dressing with greens and fruit. It is surprisingly addicting. Everyone has liked the dressing, even my meat and potatoes mid-western parents.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails