Monday, December 14, 2009

Quick E2L Salad



After spending the morning cleaning I needed something to eat fast. I threw this salad together from what I had on hand.

This salad contains no fat in the dressing because the “Eat to Live” (E2L) plan recommends that you eliminate oil from the diet to the extent possible. I added the canned diced tomato to the salad to make it moist since I wasn’t including dressing. One of the benefits of using canned tomatoes is that they are higher in lycopene since they are heating during processing. I topped the salad with raw sunflower seeds for crunch and a little healthy fat.

When I put the ingredients into the cookbook program I was little surprised by how low the calories were on this salad. Obviously I need to go get something else to eat as this is not enough calories or nutrition for lunch. This is the salad I had to start off lunch.

Quick E2L Salad
Serves 1

Ingredients:

½ head leaf lettuce (about 4 cups)
1 cup marinated mushrooms (without fat)
½ cup canned diced tomato
1 tablespoon pickled red onion (red onion pickled in white vinegar)
½ tablespoon raw sunflower seeds

Directions:

Combine and eat cold.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 116.19
Calories From Fat (24%) - 27.36

Total Fat - 3.28g
Saturated Fat - 0.32g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 855.29mg
Potassium - 815.91mg
Total Carbohydrates - 19.02g
Fiber - 8.68g
Sugar - 6.32g
Protein - 6.92g

Comments:

I think it is going to take me a little while to get used to salad without a little fat in the dressing. This wasn’t bad, but it was definitely different from what I would normally eat.

This salad contained a decent amount of nutrition considering how few calories it had. It contained approximately 900IU of vitamin A, 85mg of vitamin C, 100mg of calcium, 30IU of vitamin D (from the mushrooms), 165mcg of folate, 180mg of phosphorus, 43mg of magnesium, and 7mcg of selenium.

I am off to find a little something else to eat to get my mid day nutrition up to where it should be.

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the canned tomatoes (I always have them on hand). Although, I did just read something the other day about canned tomatoes being bad because of leeching some chemical or other from the can lining. It's always something I swear.

    I often use salsa in lieu of dressing especially because I like spicy foods (in fact, that was my salad topper for lunch today).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    I love salsa on salad too! I just didn't have any in the frig.

    There was a study that came out a few weeks ago about BPA in canned food, which included tomatoes. That may be what you are remembering.

    I do what I can to avoid harmful substances, but you are right they are everywhere. Sometimes I just throw my hands up, like with the canned tomatoes.

    If you like hummus, this summer I was putting hummus and salsa on my salads. That was a good combo.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. The canned tomatoes are a good idea, sometimes I put fresh tomato salsa on salads as a fat-free dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    Courtney reminded me of hummus on salad. That is great too. Sometimes I use hummus and salsa on salad. Other times I will use hummus and hot sauce on salad.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks kinda like some of my salads! :-) Enjoy!

    Cindy
    Back on the Internet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy,

    I find that adding pickled things to the salad makes them more appealing for me. The pickled mushrooms and onions add a lot of flavor without fat.

    Did you see Courtney's suggestion about hummus? She is right it works really well on salad, as does the salsa Heather and Rose mentioned.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails