Saturday, July 18, 2009

Italian Frittata with Potato



This morning I wanted to test another “tofu egg” idea for texture. I think this version is much closer than my prior attempt. The “egg” mixture was more firm, but not too firm. I think it is very close to the texture of a properly cooked egg, cooked by not hard.

Both my husband and I like potatoes in our frittata, which is why they are included in this recipe. I do include the skins in the dish, but only when the potatoes are organic. Non-organic potatoes should be peeled due to the high level of contaminates. I used green onion in this recipe because it was in the refrigerator, but any onion would be fine. The only reason the turmeric was top and not inside the “egg” is that I wanted to see if that changed the taste, and I think it made it a little stronger since it wasn’t encapsulated in other food. Next time I will add the turmeric to the potatoes to see what that does to the flavor. The black pepper was added to the top of the dish since turmeric needs the black pepper to maximize the absorption by the body. I used almond flour only because I have so much from making almond milk. I have been looking for ways to include it in my cooking so I don’t soon have 5 pounds in the freezer.

In keeping with the ideas included in Chapter 17 of “Life Over Cancer”, the foods used this morning that reduce platelet aggregation were: onion, tomatoes, canola oil, turmeric and fennel seed.

Overall, I think the texture of this recipe was quite good. It won’t fool anyone into thinking it is egg, but it is good. Seeing the tofu white gave me the idea do so something similar as a base for pizza or in a layered pasta dish. Expect those experiments in the coming posts.

Italian Frittata with Potato
Serves 2

Ingredients:

½ tablespoon of canola oil
3 red potatoes, microwaved until tender, and cut into bite size pieces
1 green onion, thinly sliced
½ tablespoon of hot crushed peppers
5 sun dried tomatoes, diced small
½ teaspoon of fennel seeds
½ teaspoon of oregano
12.3 ounce box of low fat silken tofu
2 tablespoons of almond flour (or whole wheat flour)
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon of turmeric
¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:

Cook potatoes in the canola oil in a non-stick pan until they just begin to crisp. Then add the hot crushed peppers, sun dried tomatoes, fennel and oregano and cook a couple of minutes.

Process the silken tofu, flour, and cornstarch (add seasonings if you don’t want to use them on top) until completely combined.

Pour the tofu mixture over the potato mixture and cook over low heat (covered) for approximately 18 minutes, until the center of the tofu is firm to the touch. If you didn’t add the turmeric and salt to the tofu in the processor then sprinkle it evenly on top before cooking.

Serve hot with freshly ground black pepper on top.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 398.02
Calories From Fat (19%) - 75.73

Total Fat - 8.73g
Saturated Fat - 1.02g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 513.14mg
Potassium - 1439.44mg
Total Carbohydrates - 56.13g
Fiber - 4.25g
Sugar - 2.92g
Protein - 27.22g

Comments:

My husband and I both liked this vegan frittata. It was a very filling breakfast and the only thing we added was a large mug of green tea and a tablespoon of dry roasted edamame. If you are a fan of heat you could

I liked the texture of the “egg” more than my husband, but his mom cooked eggs hard and that is still what he thinks of as normal. Even after over 20 years together I haven’t been able to convince him eggs are better when they are just cooked. Oh well, it doesn’t matter much now that actual eggs are off our list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails