Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wild Blueberry and Peach Smoothie



This morning I wanted to make a smoothie that didn’t included any nut butter to see how it impacted the nutrition and if my husband or I got hungry earlier in the day due to the reduction in protein.

The flavor of this smoothie was mostly peach and blueberry, in that order. The cinnamon was a very subtle flavor in the background. I could not taste any other flavors in this smoothie.

Wild blueberries are a very healthy food that I try to keep in our freezer. These berries are very high in antioxidants, particularly anthocyanins. They are reported to fight inflammation and inhibit all stages of cancer. Wild blueberries are also reported to prevent urinary tract infections and protect your heart. There are many reasons to include wild blueberries in your diet. If you are a member of Costco they sell large bags of the frozen berries all year.

This is the smoothie we had this morning.

Wild Blueberry and Peach Smoothie
Serves 2

Ingredients:

2 peaches, pitted and cut into chunks
1 cup of wild blueberries, frozen
2 tablespoons of flaxseeds, freshly ground
1/3 cup of oatmeal (dry)
½ cup of almond milk, unsweetened
¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
1 cup of water, filtered
8 ice cubes:

Directions:

Place everything in your blender and process until completely smooth. Serve immediately in chilled glasses.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 225.37
Calories From Fat (22%) - 48.8

Total Fat - 5.59g
Saturated Fat - 0.5g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 45.71mg
Potassium - 403.26mg
Total Carbohydrates - 41.34g
Fiber - 7.38g
Sugar - 13.26g
Protein - 5.99g

Comments:

Without the nut butter this smoothie tasted like thick fruit juice. I enjoyed the flavor but am curious to see how long my husband and I remain satiated from this smoothie. I will post an update at lunchtime to let everyone know if there was any noticeable difference in hunger by midday.

Update:

I started getting hungry about 4 hours after breakfast and waited 5 hours for lunch. Since I normally don't get hungry until 5 or 6 hours after breakfast I think the reduction in protein made a difference in how long I stayed satisfied. If I remember I will try this experiment again tomorrow to see if I get the same results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails