Thursday, July 9, 2009

Sautéed Cabbage and Vegetables over Brown Rice Risotto



Tonight’s dinner was based on what I had in the refrigerator that I wanted to use before the weekend. Not glamorous I know, but practical. I had a little brown rice risotto to use up or freeze so that became the base for dinner. Next I noticed the half head of cabbage from the weekend. Cabbage is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family and helps to fight cancer. Rice and cabbage say Chinese food to me.

I used a half tablespoon of canola oil to try to keep the total fat down on this recipe. I wasn’t certain if this would be enough fat for the entire recipe, but it was fine. Since the total fat was still well above the 12% goal next time I will lower the fat a little more.

The one change I would make to this recipe is to add more liquid aminos. However, when I looked at the numbers I felt uncomfortable adding sodium. Next time I will try to use more garlic and maybe some ginger to increase the flavor without sodium.

Overall, I liked this dish and was reasonably satisfied with the nutritional stats. It is obviously going to take me a little while in the kitchen before I can get our overall fat percentage to 12%.

Sautéed Cabbage and Vegetables over Brown Rice Risotto
Serves 2

Ingredients:

½ tablespoon of canola oil
1 red onion, sliced thinly
1 clove of garlic, minced
½ a head of green cabbage, shredded finely
2 tablespoons of liquid aminos
5 ounce can of sliced water chestnuts, drained
15 ounce can of straw mushroom, drained
15 ounce can of whole baby corn, drained
1 1/3 cups of brown rice risotto, cooked
a few sprigs of cilantro for garnish

Directions:

Sauté the red onion and garlic in canola oil until tender crisp. Add the shredded cabbage, water chestnuts, mushrooms and baby corn to the pan to heat through. This will take a few minutes. Add the liquid aminos before serving and toss to combine.

Heat the risotto in the microwave until hot. Top the risotto with the veg and serve hot. Top each serving with a few cilantro leaves for color.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 283.54
Calories From Fat (22%) - 63.28

Total Fat - 7.28g
Saturated Fat - 0.69g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 2296.18mg
Potassium - 300.09mg
Total Carbohydrates - 47.55g
Fiber - 12.24g
Sugar - 2.53g
Protein - 12.62g

Comments:

This makes a mountain of food. My husband and I both decided we were uncomfortably full after eating this dinner. How you can get that full on less than 300 calories is still a little perplexing. The flavor profile had good umami from the cabbage, mushrooms and liquid aminos. If you are looking for a big meal that is low in calories this fits the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails