Sunday, July 12, 2009

Banana, Peanut Butter, Ginger and Cinnamon Smoothie



I didn’t make the green smoothie this morning because my husband woke up with an upset stomach and didn’t think the green would go down well. I added a couple of fresh ginger slices to our green tea this morning to help with his stomach upset. As usual we also had a few fresh edamame with our green tea since soy and green tea work better together than separately.

We had a banana smoothie this morning since they are good if the stomach upset moves to the lower GI system. I added little powdered ginger to our smoothie to assist with the stomach upset. It seems to have worked since his stomach is now fine. The flaxseeds are always a part of my smoothies for their omega 3’s. Since omega 3 is an anti-inflammatory fat that helps to fight cancer I like to add it when I can.

This smoothie contains one of our favorite flavor combinations, banana and peanut butter. The cinnamon and ginger are both subtle flavors in this smoothie with neither one being dominant. We also liked the iciness of this smoothie. I may increase the amount of ice in our smoothies going forward. We both liked the addition of the ginger, which was subtle but added a nice anti-inflammatory punch.

Banana, Peanut Butter, Ginger and Cinnamon Smoothie
Makes 2 servings approximately 1 1/2 cups each

Ingredients:

1 banana, frozen – peeled
1 ½ tablespoons of peanut butter
2 tablespoons of golden flaxseeds, freshly ground
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
½ teaspoon of ginger, ground
1 ¼ cups of water
8 ice cubes

Directions:

Place ingredients in the blender and process until smooth. Serve immediately in chilled glasses.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 185.77
Calories From Fat (48%) - 88.63

Total Fat - 10.42g
Saturated Fat - 1.75g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 65.85mg
Potassium - 300.38mg
Total Carbohydrates - 20.68g
Fiber - 5.66g
Sugar - 8.36g
Protein - 5.74g

Comments:

Peanut Butter and Banana is one of our favorite combinations. The addition of the powdered ginger was surprisingly light in the end. I like that it adds another source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents. This drink does exceed my targeted fat percentage by a mile. However, since my husband had an upset stomach this morning I thought it was more important that he eat something. I will add other plain fruits and vegetables to our day to try to get the overall fat percentage down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails