Sunday, July 5, 2009

Peach and Almond Smoothie



Fresh local peaches were everywhere at the farmers’ market this morning, and I am a happy woman. I love fresh peaches! They may be my all-time favorite food. Needless to say we bought a small basket, which contained 20 peaches. That may be enough peaches to get me through to next Sunday. Good thing my husband doesn’t love peaches the way I do.

Since we had peaches the choice for which fruit we put in our smoothie was quite obvious. I like the combination of peaches and almonds. The almonds in this dish are obvious but not dominant. I also included the flaxseeds for omega 3’s and their reported ability to fight cancer and prevent heart disease. The oatmeal was included for fiber and to make the smoothie thicker.

Peach and Almond Smoothie
Serves 2

Ingredients:

4 peaches, pitted and cut into chunks
2 cups of almond milk, unsweetened
2 tablespoons of flaxseeds, freshly ground
1/3 cup of old fashioned oatmeal (dry)
2 tablespoons of almond butter, unsweetened and unsalted
½ tablespoon of almond extract
6 ice cubes
pinch of nutmeg, freshly ground (part for in smoothie and part on top)

Directions:

Put everything in the blender and puree until smooth. Serve in a chilled glass with a little fresh nutmeg grated on top.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 372.56
Calories From Fat (41%) - 154.44

Total Fat - 17.77g
Saturated Fat - 1.46g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 226.43mg
Potassium - 963.16mg
Total Carbohydrates - 49.21g
Fiber - 10.93g
Sugar - 27.25g
Protein - 9.78g

Comments:

I enjoyed this smoothie very much, but I love anything peach. The flavors of this smoothie are subtle but have a nice depth of flavor. If you haven’t tried to combine almond and peach I highly recommend that you give it a try. Tomorrow I may add fresh spinach to this smoothie for nutrition and to see what that does to the flavor.

When I used the cookbook program this morning to calculate the nutritional information the fat seemed too high so I manually checked the numbers. I discovered the program was using flaxseed oil and not ground flaxseeds in the calculations. I have made that correction in the program and have updated the other recipes on the blog that included flaxseeds. You will see a note at the bottom of the recipes indicating the nutritional information was updated. If you notice any prior recipes with flaxseeds that don’t indicate they were updated please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails