Saturday, July 25, 2009

Whole Wheat Wrap with Chickpea, Zucchini Burger and Lemon Chia Seed Dressing



This morning we had what most people would call an unorthodox breakfast. We have meals like this for breakfast all the time. I like to have “leftovers” for breakfast. Leftovers make a quick meal for this in the morning when I am not overly functional.

I used a few of the burgers we had last night for breakfast this morning. This time I warmed them in a cast iron pan with a little oil. My husband and I both agreed that we preferred the burgers with a bit of a crust. I made a sandwich of the burgers with some greens, dressing and whole wheat flat bread.

We had the remainder of the blackberry fool this morning as well. This time I mashed the berries in the tofu to see if I we liked that better (sorry I didn’t take another photo). We both decided mashing the berries made no difference in terms of flavor.

Our breakfast this morning ended up being a little over 400 calories. We try to have breakfast be around that size each day. We have found that it needs to be about 400 calories to hold us to lunch.

The best part of this meal is that it took a minimum of effort and was ready in 10 minutes. In terms of nutrition this morning we covered many bases. We had soy, dark berries, turmeric, nigella seeds, whole grain, leafy greens, and omega 3 from the chia seeds. I love a healthy cancer fighting meal that also tastes fantastic.

Whole Wheat Wrap with Chickpea, Zucchini Burger and Lemon Chia Seed Dressing
Serves 2

Ingredients:

2 whole wheat flat bread
1 teaspoon of canola oil
3 chickpea, zucchini and nigella seed burgers
4 cups of mesclun greens, cleaned and spun dry
1 tablespoon of lemon, cashew and chia seed dressing

Directions:

Heat canola oil in a heavy bottom skillet (I used a cast iron pan). Crisp the chickpea burgers in the pan over medium heat. You want the burgers to form a nice crust and warm through. This will take about 4 minutes per side over medium (assuming you are using a heated cast iron pan). Cut the heat burgers in half so they will fit well on the sandwich.

Place the greens on the whole wheat flat bread. Top the greens with the burgers and drizzle with the lemon chia seed dressing. Serve hot.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 356.42
Calories From Fat (22%) - 78.92

Total Fat - 9.67g
Saturated Fat - 1.24g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 533.71mg
Potassium - 752.83mg
Total Carbohydrates - 50.83g
Fiber - 17.61g
Sugar - 6.6g
Protein -25.8g

Comments:

This is a tasty and filling sandwich. My husband and I are both recommending that you crisp the burgers in a heavy pan to add another texture to the sandwich. Even though we had these burgers last night, they tasted different this morning since I did not have the acidic vegetables on the sandwich. The flavor of the burgers was able to come through more this morning. We liked the little bit of heat from the hot crushed peppers (wet hots) as well as the flavor from the nigella seeds which tastes like onion. Overall, this was a tasty breakfast that is also good for you.

4 comments:

  1. These look great. I'm the same way, I love leftovers for breakfast. I'm definitely going to give the chickpea, zucchini, nigela burgers a try. They sound divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    I thought we were only ones that ate dinner leftovers for breakfast. Thanks for letting me know we aren't alone. I hope you like the chickpea burgers. My husband thinks they are one of my better burger variations.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, you are definitely not alone...this morning I had roasted potatoes with kale, chard, and tempeh salad leftover from last night's dinner. I like your blog, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    Thanks so much for the compliment on the blog. I really appreciate it!

    I started the blog as a way to share recipes with my friends without having to email them and then found out that I enjoy blogging.

    BTW, your breakfast sounds great. We don't eat enough tempeh. I need to get some at the store this week.

    thanks again,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails