Friday, July 10, 2009

Breakfast: Peach, Pineapple and Banana Smoothie and Hummus topped Bagel



This morning I used the cookbook program to make “electronic only” recipes before I went into the kitchen to cook. I knew I wanted to use 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds in the smoothie this morning for the Omega 3’s and their ability to fight cancer. Once I started adding fruit into the program it became obvious that I needed to include more calories than I could get into a smoothie. When I added the bagel and hummus the total fat percentage fell to 12%.




I included the cinnamon in the smoothie since it helps the body to process the natural sugar that is present in the fruit. The frozen banana was included for potassium and thickness. The no fat added hummus was included to up the protein in our breakfast.

Breakfast: Peach, Pineapple and Banana Smoothie and Hummus topped Bagel
Serves 2

Ingredients:

2 peaches, pitted and cut into chunks
1 frozen banana, peeled and cut into chunks
½ cup of pineapple, drained
2 tablespoons of golden flaxseeds, freshly ground
1 cup of water
½ teaspoon of cinnamon

1 sprouted wheat bagel, cut in half and toasted
6 tablespoons of roasted red pepper, garlic and paprika hummus

Directions:

Place the peaches, banana, pineapple, flaxseeds, water and cinnamon into the blender. Process until completely smooth. Pour into your serving glass. Serve cold.

Spread the hummus on the toasted bagel half.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 421.87
Calories From Fat (12%) - 50.44

Total Fat - 5.84g
Saturated Fat - 0.59g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 514.32mg
Potassium - 734.17mg
Total Carbohydrates - 84.6g
Fiber - 12.56g
Sugar - 30.43g
Protein - 12.87g

Comments:

The little bit of pineapple I included added a nice flavor to the smoothie. I don’t think I would add more than ½ cup or the flavor would take over the smoothie. The peach was a background flavor in this smoothie. This was a good combination of flavors where no single flavor dominated. The cinnamon flavor was also subtle. I did miss my nut butter in the smoothie, but this may be all in my head.

If I am going to include a sprouted wheat bagel in our breakfast each morning I will need to develop a recipe of my own. The bagels I have been buying are good, but they are only mostly whole wheat and I would prefer all whole wheat. Expect to see a sprouted wheat bagel recipe sometime in the next week or so.

Overall we were happy with this breakfast. It had good flavor and was quite filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails