Monday, July 13, 2009

Spinach Salad with Orange Segments, Dried Cherries and Seitan



My lunch today was a salad with a little fruit and seitan. I used the spinach in place of lettuce for its superior nutrition. I was in the mood for citrus today and had an orange in the refrigerator. I included the dried cherries for a pop of color and sweetness. The seitan slices were added to get the calories and protein up on the salad. If you want a little more crunchiness a little thinly sliced cucumber would also be good in this salad. If fat is not a probably for you I would suggest you add a few slivered almonds or cashews to this salad.

Spinach Salad with Orange Segments, Dried Cherries and Seitan
Serves 1

Ingredients:

½ tablespoon of sherry vinegar
½ teaspoon of canola oil
a pinch of sea salt
a pinch of freshly ground black pepper
3 cups of raw baby spinach, rinsed and spun dry
½ orange, segmented
2 servings of pressure cooked lunchmeat, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon of dried cherries

Directions:

Combine the sherry vinegar, canola oil, sea salt and pepper. Whisk to thoroughly combine. Toss the spinach in the dressing. Add the orange, seitan and dry cherries and toss to coat everything.

Serve immediately on a chilled plate.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 278.88
Calories From Fat (12%) - 32.81

Total Fat - 3.75g
Saturated Fat - 0.36g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 88.2mg
Potassium - 676.78mg
Total Carbohydrates - 25.86g
Fiber - 4.45g
Sugar - 6.82g
Protein - 38.83g

Comments:

I intentionally reduced the salad dressing I used today and wasn’t certain it would be enough to moisten all the leaves. I was surprised to find that today’s salad had enough dressing. I liked the combination of orange and dried cherries with the sherry vinegar. The seitan was included for protein and calories. Overall, this is a good salad that is filling and refreshing at the same time.

(This note is for Sue …… I know you were surprised to see the oranges had been supremed. I did save the membrane that is between the segments to add to a citrus salad dressing later today. I wouldn’t want to miss any opportunity to reduce cholesterol and fight cancer).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails