Monday, March 8, 2010

Moroccan Inspired Chickpea Soup with Pasta


Since I had started sprouting some chickpeas yesterday I knew I was making something with them today, only I didn’t know exactly what. I had considered hummus but the red pepper okara dip turned out so well I decided to turn these into soup. This is a variation of my Moroccan Chickpea Stew only I have eliminated the preserved lemon since most people don’t have a jar in their pantry. I used fresh lemon in place of the preserved ones. I also decided to make this more of a one dish meal by adding a little broken whole wheat spaghetti to the soup. Here is the soup we had tonight for dinner.

Moroccan Inspired Chickpea Soup with Pasta
Makes 8 servings

Ingredients:

3 large cloves garlic, smashed, peeled and finely minced (allow to stand 10 minutes before heating so allicin can develop)
1 yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
½ cup water
1 tablespoon tomato paste
14 ounces tomato sauce
14 ounces diced tomatoes
1 pound chickpeas, soaked overnight (or sprouted)
Enough water to just cover the chickpeas
½ inch fresh ginger, grated (if organic don’t bother to peel just rinse off dirt)
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon coriander seed
2 bay leaves
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup small pasta (I used whole wheat spaghetti broken into 1 inch lengths)
1 lemon, zested and juiced
½ cup parsley, finely minced

Directions:

Water sauté the onions and garlic. When the aromatics are soft add the tomato paste and stir encourage it to dissolve more quickly. Add the remaining ingredients through the cinnamon and cook until the chickpeas are tender. 15 minutes before serving add the broken spaghetti (or soup pasta) and cook until it is al dente. Turn off the heat and add the lemon zest and juice. Stir in the parsley just before serving.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 358.09
Calories From Fat (11%) - 38.95

Total Fat 4.62g
Saturated Fat - 0.41g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 586.97mg
Potassium-  875.24mg
Total Carbohydrates - 66.39g
Fiber - 15.52g
Sugar - 11.8g
Protein - 16.63g

Comments:

This is a quick flavorful soup. Pasta adds body and reduces the liquid of the soup making it more of a stew. Like all soups and stews this will be more flavorful tomorrow if you can wait that long to eat it. My hubby walked it the door telling me how good the house smelled.

Each serving of this soup contains 975IU of vitamin A, 90mg of calcium, 4.7mg of iron, 340mcg of folate, 70mcg of vitamin K, 245mg of phosphorus, and 85mg of magnesium.

After our soup we had another fruit and veggie juice very similar to the one we had this morning with our breakfast. I always try to include either a salad or a juice with our meals for nutrition.

Unrelated Note:

I had hoped to get one of the recipes from the weekend posted today. Given the time it doesn’t look like that is going to happen until tomorrow. Sorry about the delay. I am running a little behind on everything at the moment after taking the weekend off.

I will be back tomorrow with a few recipes, hopefully one or two of them from the weekend. I hope you are all having a great Monday.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! very yummy and interesting recipe..this looks similar to one of our curry preparation with chickpeas except for the addition of pasta...loved the color of the soup Dear..Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is moroccan and Indian food taste like? I am such a chicken when it comes to things like that? I will seriously throw down any kind of oriental food, japanese is my favorite, but curries, chick peas and coconut milk in food scare me. I love basmati rice though!
    Ok so raw feel through and I made a banana flop cake....I do not know what to do with myself and I feel awful lately body wise.....pain, inflammation etc. and headaches too alot lately!!
    OK I am just going to e-mail you...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nithu,

    When I was in college my best friend was from Madras. Her mom spent a lot of time patiently teaching me to make Indian food. I think some of those influences sneak into my dishes more often than I realize.

    The pasta I added to make the soup more substantial without cooking a separate grain.

    Brandi,

    I happen to love both Indian and Moroccan food. I don't know that I can explain the flavor other than to say it is very aromatic and flavorful from spices and herbs. Do you have any Indian restaurants nearby? That would be a great place to start. Indian food in particular is very healthy since it uses a lot of anti inflammtory spices and other flavorings.

    Please feel free to email if you need to talk. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chickpeas! I always like to hear about all the different ways to prepare them! Your soup looks great! I hope to make it soon!

    Thank you, Alicia, for being my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so great. YUM. I love love love chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valerie,

    My hubby loved this last night. He had a huge bowl and took it again in his lunch today. I think that means this is Dan approved. ;-) I hope you and Jordan like it too!

    Tiffany,

    What a nice thing to say. :-) Thank you so much for the compliment. I really appreciate it!

    Heather,

    You could leave out the fennel if you choose, it won't make a big difference. ;-) Thanks for the compliment.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious...how did I miss this? Yum...I've got some chickpeas cooking in the slow cooker today...this may be on the menu tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose,

    We enjoyed this quite a bit. It has a complex flavor but isn't too crazy. I think you will like it.

    talk to you later,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails