Friday, March 12, 2010

Cucumber and Lemon Water


This is more of a method than a recipe. I have been making this for years. Until recently I made it in the blender but now use my juicer because it is easier to clean than a fine wire sieve. This drink is light (in calories), refreshing and has a big flavor punch that I like after exercise. Here is how I make it.

Cucumber and Lemon Water
Serves 1

Ingredients:

½ English cucumber
¼ - ½ lemon, depending on how much you like lemon
1 cup water, or more if you like your beverages to have a lighter flavor
1 pinch kosher salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon agave, or to taste

Blender Directions:

Zest the lemon into the blender and then remove the peel and seeds and discard those. Add the lemon pulp to the blender along with the cucumber and water. Process until smooth and pour through a fine sieve. Flavor the beverage with salt and agave to your taste.

Juicer directions:

Cut the lemon and cucumber into pieces that will fit into your juicer. Juice as you would any other drink. Add water, salt and agave according to your taste.

Nutritional Information (assumes ½ lemon which is what I use, but I love lemon):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 34.18
Calories From Fat (8%) - 2.83

Total Fat - 0.42g
Saturated Fat - 0.04g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 294.81mg
Potassium - 300.59mg
Total Carbohydrates - 10.27g
Fiber - 4.09g
Sugar - 2.32g
Protein - 1.6g

The numbers above are approximate. The fiber is clearly overstated because the pulp has been strained out.

Comments:

I find this juice to be very refreshing. It is something I have made for years. I like it after exercising or in the summer. It provides vitamin C and calcium as well as a nice flavor. You can change the flavor by adding fresh parsley or cilantro.

Unrelated Note:

I need to get back to my to do list. However I will be back later with another recipe or two.

8 comments:

  1. This DOES look refreshing! And how perfect for St. Patrick's Day! :-) I think this is something I'd really enjoy, I must give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lalo,

    St. Patrick's Day didn't occur to me because I drink this so often. Can you say duh? How did I miss that one? Thanks for pointing it out. ;-)

    I have make this for years and love it. I hope you enjoy it too.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Begorrah, and how could ye be forgettin' that a green beverage is pairfect for St. Patty's Day, lassie? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lalo,

    I know not one of my "brighter" moments. It seemed so obvious as soon as I read your comment. Doh! (smacks forehead)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. The color itself is too beautiful..very refreshing drink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nithu,

    Thanks! It is a nice color, I agree. I drink this so often I guess I don't think about the details like I should. As Lalo said it would be great for St. Patricks's Day.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. This must be a very good elixir for morning or late night...whichever you prefer to call it...sounds wonderful...I'm making this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose,

    I have been making this for years. It is based on something my mom learned at some spa, which I like to make more intense. Her original version was much lighter in flavor. But you know me, I love a big flavor rush. I think you will like this.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails