Thursday, March 4, 2010

Quick Lunch and Yacon Update


A veggie stuffed whole wheat wrap is the type of thing I make when I need to eat quickly. I got off a few shots before Nicco (affectionately known as Binky) decided he wanted my sandwich. In spite of my holding it in the air to try to take a few more pics Binky was determined to get into the sandwich. Can you say spoiled rotten feline? This is the sort of thing that happens here all the time. When one of the felines wants something they are very determined to get what they want. I had to take my sandwich to a room with a door so I could eat it undisturbed because he was relentless.

The sandwich was a quick one. I smeared a little walnut cheeze on a whole wheat wrap and topped with 4 cups of baby spinach and little grated carrot. The fat in the nut spread will keep my satisfied for at least 3 or 4 hours. The walnut spread worked well on the sandwich from a flavor perspective.

I wanted to get back to you on the yacon powder in tea. I added a teaspoon to a 16 ounce mug of tea and I couldn’t taste a thing, no sweetness, nothing. According to what I read here, yacon is high in inulin making it a probiotic. The link also indicates it helps with the absorption of calcium, magnesium and B vitamins. I am going to do more research to confirm this is accurate. That may be enough for me to continue to consume it. So far the taste is so mild that it wouldn’t be enough by itself for me to keep purchasing it. As I use it in other things I will let you know how it works or doesn’t work.

While looking for information on yacon I came across the Navitas Naturals website. They have a nice bunch of recipes using their products (including maca). You might want to check it out.

For now I am going back to my project.

23 comments:

  1. Ah that wrap looks great. Love the kitty in the picture! If my dogs were that close to food, the food would not be a part of the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,

    Binky would absolutely go for a cheeseburger too (assuming his mommy had that in the house that is). He loves cashews, tortilla chips, oatmeal and seitan. That cat has very strange taste in food.

    Heather,

    I had to snap quickly or the cat would have grabbed the wrap too! He may be little, but he is quick and determined. He was standing on his hind legs trying to reach the plate that I was holding in the air to take the pic.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm noticing a trend here! I think Nicco likes to be in the limelight the most!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,

    Very perseptive! Our little Nicco does love to have his picture taken, but he is also the baby. And ... he beheaves like the baby. He is totally spoiled and bratty. But we love the bad child. Good thing, huh?

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kitty is so cute! He looks like he's doing research or something...I mean the look on his face is so focused and determined...and who can blame him, that sandwich looks crazy good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose,

    He was totally focused! I think he was either after the whole wheat flat bread (which he loves) or the walnut spread (he also loves nuts). He is REALLY bad when I make sushi. No bratty cats at my house. ;)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. How does one measure out cups of spinach? Should they be tightly-packed cups? Scoop-out-of-the-bag cups? I eat lots of raw spinach -- in smoothies, salads, etc. -- but I'm always wondering.

    (BTW - Love the kitty!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tracie,

    In this case I estimated. But if I needed to measure the raw spinach I would tightly pack it in a meauring cup trying not to crush it. After you measure it a few times you will get a feel for how many of your hand fulls makes a cup.

    thanks for the kitty compliment,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can a delicious healthy wrap sandwich be like heroin?????
    I adore wrap sandwiches!!!!
    I make a coleslaw wrap that is MONEY!!!! I also make a spinach wrap sandwich really close to yours but with a sweet and sour dressing on it!!!
    My cat mushu likes to get up close and personal to, I think it really adds something to the food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brandi,

    I don't know exactly what was attracting the feline. I think he just likes to see what we are eating, but he really wanted this today.

    The cole slaw wrap sounds good. You should definitely post it the next time you make it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, that is a wonderful wrap and a very beautiful click..so cute:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nithu,

    Thanks! My youngest feline really wanted his picture taken. He wasn't taking no for an answer. ;)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL... great pic of a true cat burglar! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lalo,

    He was trying his best to be a cat burglar! It is a shame my felines are so bad. Doesn't say much for my cat mommy skills. ;) Can you tell who runs the house? It isn't me that is for certain.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks very good, Alicia! It's been a few weeks since I made a similar wrap... maybe it's time to enjoy it once again. Love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Valerie,

    This is something I make when I need something quick and portable. Sounds like you do too! You can't beat the ease of a sandwich.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ali,
    The critters rule the roost at our house too. I think that's how it should be! :-) Your boys are lucky, lucky!

    I so love this picture, the more I think of it the more I think you should consider making it your blog avatar! It so captures the main themes of your blog - beautiful, healthy food and fun kitty antics! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lalo,

    You may be on to something with the avatar idea. I may just do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Thanks for letting me know your animals are in charge too. It makes me feel like I am not alone.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww, so cute! And the wrap looks delish, I often pack similar wraps for my son to take in his lunch, I love how portable they are.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Janet,

    Thanks, we think he is cute too! It is a shame he isn't well behaved. ;)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a great photo. On several levels.

    Interesting to learn about your experience with yacon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beatrice,

    My little guy loves to taste test his mommy's food. He is so bad. Good thing we love him.

    Sorry I don't have any great news on yacon powder yet. I haven't given up on it yet, but am a little disappointed so far. I will definitely keep you informed on how the experiments with it work.

    Alciia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails