Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Breakfast of Champions – Salad!


This morning my hubby left the house at 7am. Since I am not a morning person (an understatement I assure you), I made him breakfast and then slowly woke up after he left. By the time I had breakfast at 9:30am I wasn’t in the mood for traditional morning food. Instead I made myself a nice salad. Here is what I had.

Spicy Garbanzo Bean and Veggie Salad
serves 1

Ingredient:

2 tablespoons tofu and pine nut mayo
Sriracha to taste (I used about a teaspoon but I like things very spicy start with less so you don't overdo)
2/3 cup garbanzo beans, cooked without salt
½ cup seedless cucumber, chopped
½ cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
4 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
Approximately ¼ teaspoon dulse granules (for salty taste and iodine)

Directions:

Mix the mayo and sriracha. Add the garbanzo beans, cucumbers, and tomatoes and toss to coat everything evenly with the flavored mayo. Place on top of the baby spinach and sprinkle with a little dulse for iodine.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 293.38
Calories From Fat (25%) - 72.11

Total Fat - 8.61g
Saturated Fat-  0.78g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 218.45mg
Potassium - 1383.95mg
Total Carbohydrates - 42.03g
Fiber - 12.8g
Sugar - 10.36g
Protein - 16.83g

Comments:

I thought this made a nice breakfast, but you might prefer it for lunch or dinner. Sriracha gives this a nice bite that I particularly enjoy. The tofu and pine nut mayo worked really well here. With the sriracha, veggies and beans I couldn’t taste any tofu flavor.

This salad is packed with nutrition. It contains approximately 12,000IU of vitamin A, 50mg of vitamin C, 220mg of calcium, 7mg of iron, 450mcg of folate, 600mcg of vitamin K, 335mg of phosphorus, 190mg of magnesium, and 7.5mcg of selenium. I found it interesting that my breakfast contains as much fiber and magnesium as the average American consumes in a day. If you pack your meals with veggies and beans you can’t go wrong.

Unrelated note:

Today is going to be a little hectic here, in a good way I hope. I will definitely be back later with at least one post, and hopefully more.

I hope you all have a great day!

12 comments:

  1. Oh YUM. I love chickpeas!! Hope you have a great day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    I love chickpeas too. They are really good with sriracha mayo!

    Thanks for the well wishes. I hope it is a good day too!

    talk to you later,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my kind of breakfast Alicia ;-) I'm off to walk on this gorgeous sunny day, hope you have a great St. Paddy's day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet,

    Nice to you I am not the only one that has salad for breakfast. ;-)

    It is beautiful and sunny here as well. I have already been out myself.

    Happy St. Paddy's Day to you too!
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely, and even though I'm not a savory breakfast person I would def try this at lunch.

    I'm a total morning person but my husband is the complete opposite -- I don't think we ever eat meals at the same time, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PB and Jess,

    Sounds like our house, only in reverse. We normally have breakfast together when he isn't leaving at an uncivilized hour of the morning. ;-)

    The sriracha makes this salad, in my opinion. I hope you give it a try. It is one of my favorites.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently found your blog. I've been (trying) to move the family to a more vegan diet. You've been both a great resource and inspiration. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. neca,

    I am so glad I can help. Thank you very much for letting me know!

    Good luck with changing the diet at your house. It is definitely possible to move to a healthy vegan diet and still eat good food. We found that our taste buds changed dramatically in under 6 months.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! love the addition of garbanzo bean..salad is too tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nithu,

    Thanks! I hope you try it. The sriracha makes this, in my opinion.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your breakfast looks so wonderful! I really want my husband to read this post because he always laughs at me when I have veggie salad for breakfast (I'm so glad I'm not alone). And yes, this sounds like my kind of food. I'll definitely be making tofu-pinenut mayo very soon, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oraphan,

    I think a lot of people eat things like this for breakfast. I have gotten other comments like that, we definitely aren't alone!

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails