Monday, March 15, 2010

Lemony Pine Nut and Macadamia Ricotta


Today was a little hectic at my house, as expected. I almost didn’t get even one post written today. Then I remembered this recipe from last weekend. Everyone enjoyed this nut cheese, even my elderly parents. I can safely say this was omni approved if you are looking for something that you can make for both vegans and omnis. Here is what I did.

Lemony Pine Nut and Macadamia Ricotta
Makes approximately 28 tablespoons

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cups pine nuts, soaked for at least 4 hours, drained well
2/3 cups macadamia nuts, soaked for at least 4 hours, drained well
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 clove garlic, smashed and peeled
2 tablespoons miso (I used white)
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper to taste (preferably white pepper)

Directions:

Combine everything in your food processor or blender and process until smooth. Depending on your machine you may need to add a little water to help it process. The resulting nut cheese will be very thick and rich. I am a huge fan of lemon so this is definitely a lemony ricotta. If you aren’t a lemon lover you should start by making this with lemon juice only and see if you want to add the zest. The zest adds a lot of lemon flavor.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Nutritional information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 71.98
Calories From Fat (83%) - 59.74

Total Fat - 6.89g
Saturated Fat - 0.71g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 56.49mg
Potassium - 56.45mg
Total Carbohydrates - 1.88g
Fiber - 0.62g
Sugar - 0.51g
Protein - 1.3g

Comments:

Dan had this again today in his lunch. He used carrot sticks as a utensil. We like the thickness of this nut cheese and the tang from the lemon. It also worked really well last weekend when I decided to make Seitan parmesan. It would also be great on raw pizza which may happen tomorrow. ;-)

Unrelated Note:

Tomorrow should be a more typical day at our house. I hope to be back to blogging as I normally do. Fingers Crossed!

I am still behind on responding to email. Thank you so much for patience. With a little luck I will be able to respond to all the outstanding email tomorrow. One email that came today posed a great question that may turn into a post later this week. I am always blown away by the fantastic questions you ask. One of the best things about blogging is sharing ideas and I am fortunate to have so many intelligent readers that take nutrition very seriously. Your questions and comments make me better, I learn so much from all of you. Thank you so much!

Talk to you all tomorrow. I hope you had a great day today!

14 comments:

  1. Nut cheeses are my new passion. Can't wait to try this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison,

    We have been really getting into the nut cheese lately too! Nut cheese in general is much easier and more tasty than I expected it to be. I hope you like this one. :-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this looks and sounds awesome! I forgot I have a raw cheese recipe!!! I got it froma fellow vegan at adoption class

    ReplyDelete
  4. One word: YUM. I really need to give this one a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brandi,

    I hope you like this nut cheeze. Can't wait to see your recipe!

    Heather,

    I thought of you when I made this since you seem to enjoy nut cheeze as much as we do. I hope you and Jason enjoy it. Can't wait to see how you modify it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious! I have a sensitivity to macadamia nuts, though. Do you think another nut could work in its place?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brigid,

    I used the macadamia nuts for texture and color. You should be able to substitute raw cashews for them without any problem. I would soak the cashews to make them easier to process. I hope you like this.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so totally into the pine-nut filling in place of tofu these days...I must try it with macademia nuts...something I don't usually buy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rose,

    I added the macadamia nuts for body and it worked well. The pine nuts by themselves were a little softer than I wanted. You could also try raw cashews that should work fine.

    ttyl,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds perfect! Another one of your cheese recipes I must bookmark! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ricki,

    Thank you so much! What a nice thing to say. :-) I hope you enjoy it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for posting this link. I have made one nut cheese before and I didn't like it at all. This one sounds a lot better to begin with - pine nuts YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tasha,

    I hope you like this one more. :-)

    You may want to check back soon. I made another version of nut cheese today with mac nut and raw pumpkin seeds that I hope to get posted tonight or tomorrow morning.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails