Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Raw Cookie Dough Truffles


My husband has the world’s most vicious sweet tooth. Giving up sugar and agave his been really difficult for my husband. When we met, decades ago, the man put 6 packets of sugar in a small coffee. When I say he has a wicked sweet tooth I am not exaggerating. Periodically I make him a little sweet treat because he loves them so much. These are things that we eat one or two at a time and only immediately after a meal to keep blood glucose levels down since cancer is a sugar feeder.

When I read a comment that Raw Sierra posted on Vivacious Vegan’s blog about raw cookie dough I knew I needed to make a version of the recipe only with stevia. Instead of adding chips to the dough I decided to turn them into truffles by coating them in melted chocolate. Here is what I did.

Raw Cookie Dough Truffles
Makes 20 small truffles

Ingredients:

2/3 cups oatmeal, dry
1 1/3 cups raw cashes
1 pinch salt
1 pinch cinnamon, or to taste
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon water, or as necessary to make a stiff dough
Stevia to taste (I used 3 single unit scoops or 3 grams)
Approximately 4 ounces dark chocolate

Directions:

Place the oatmeal in your blender and grind into a powder. Add the raw cashews to the oat flour and grind those as well. Empty this mixture into a large bowl and stir in the salt and cinnamon. Add the vanilla, and as much water as is necessary to make a stiff dough. Using a small disher that you fill to a level with dough and form each scoop into one or two balls. I made small balls and got two truffles from each scoop. Roll the dough in your hands to form balls. Place the balls on a sheet pan lined with parchment or silpat and freeze until solid.

Depending on your freezer the balls will take about an hour to freeze. When they are completely frozen melt the chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave. I do this on 30% power and stir periodically until it is almost liquid. It will continue to cook from the heat of the melted chocolate and you don’t want to overheat it so stop a little before it has completely melted.

Dip the frozen balls in the chocolate, allow the excess to drip off and return to the cold, lined pan and return it to the freezer. When the chocolate is hard the truffles can be placed in a freezer bag for storage.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 75.86
Calories From Fat (55%) - 42.03

Total Fat - 5g
Saturated Fat-  0.56g
Cholesterol - 0.28mg
Sodium - 15.85mg
Potassium - 82.01mg
Total Carbohydrates - 6.74g
Fiber - 0.77g
Sugar - 3.21g
Protein - 1.76g

Comments:

These taste surprisingly like cookie dough. Thank you Raw Sierra for the cookie dough recipe. I think this basic recipe can be flavored in many different ways to make different recipes. If you have a craving for cookie dough and just want a little something this really hits the spot. Be warned this may be one of those recipes that are too good to resist. I plan to hide them in the freezer so my hubby doesn’t eat them all in one sitting.

Unrelated note:

Time for me to get back to my research. I will try to be back later today with another post regarding our dinner tonight, but realistically that will probably happen tomorrow. Have a great evening in case I don’t get a chance to say that later tonight.

25 comments:

  1. Hi, Alicia. My husband has a major sweet tooth, too. Not so much me, I'm more of a salt gal. Anyhow, these look good. Were they delicate in flavor, by chance, or more hardy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. blessed mama,

    These taste like chocolate chip cookies with a nice vanilla aroma. Next time I may use the seeds from a vanilla pod for texture. I think these are going to be dangerous at our house. I am already planning where to hide them in the freezer so Dan won't eat too many at one time.

    I am with you on the salt. That is my weakness too. But these are really good even to me.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia, these look great. These are a little different from the truffles I make, I look forward to trying them. I'm tucking this away for the next time the sweet tooth acts up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet,

    I hope you like them. I think they are really tasty.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicia, the truffles look great..I'm like ur husband..I have a sweet tooth too..lol. So have bookmarked this recipe..Its worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dolly,

    They are very quick, which is a bonus (or not depending). ;-) I hope you like them as much as I did.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather,

    I would be happy to send you some, but I don't know how well they will travel. I suspect the coating may melt in transit. That would not be pretty! Lucky for you they are quick to make. I bet you have all the ingredients on hand now.

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just used real vanilla beans for the first time last week in a bread pudding, and it was out of this world! So, I bet using it in these truffles would be great too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. blessed mama,

    I agree that is definitely a note I made on my copy of the recipe to try next time. I think it will make them even better. :-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do have everything but the chocolate. Probably for the best LOL. Maybe a weekend treat though. I bet they'd be good rolled in chopped nuts too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought about the chopped nuts, toasted coconut and cocoa powder. I know what you mean about it is probably for the best. They are a little too yummy. ;-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you adapted this with stevia, because I CAN HAVE IT!! I'm making this tomorrow--I may just revert back to the "cookie dough" (and not truffles) so I can use some of my raw cacao nibs. Either way, I am sure they're stellar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ricki,

    I am so happy you are going to try this! I can't wait to see how you tweak the recipe. You are much better with sweets than I am. ;-)

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  14. SWOOOOOON! These are bookmarked to be tried very, very soon! Thanks for sharing something for the sweet tooth crowd!

    LJ

    ReplyDelete
  15. These do look very good. We not very sweet tooth oriented around here, but we do like dark choc and these are a nice elegant little treat for sometime special.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LJ,

    These got two thumbs up from the hubby. I think you will like them.

    Rose,

    I had not thought of that but you make a great point. This would be a great "special treat". :-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  17. You beat me to it!!!! LOL!!
    I think these sound amazing!!! I an still trying to get more raw and I am craving sweets, since I have all the ingredients, I should make these too!!
    Yours look phenomenol!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brandi,

    I knew my hubby would love these, and he does. I thought he could use a little treat this week. You should try them, Raw Sierra was right, raw cashews and oat flour work great as "cookie dough".

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Home run!!!

    Do you think those of us who don't own a vitamix should soak the cashews first?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sarah,

    Thanks! :-) Glad you like the idea of it. Dan really enjoyed this recipe last night.

    Great question about soaking. That would make them softer but it may also make the dough too wet since I was only added one tablespoon of water. I think the cashews would absorb more than that. I think a regular blender will be able to grind the nuts into a flour a consistency. If you try this please let me know if I am right.

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  21. so have you ever been given good advice...and then ignored it? ("...these might be addictive...." (you said).....)
    these are good, i cant wait to cut into one like you did for your picture. i just ate the extra dough. there wasnt REALLY any extra i had to plan it that way. i love the cinnamon in it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Michelle,

    I am so happy you like these! :-) Thanks for letting me know.

    ttyl,
    Alciia

    ReplyDelete
  23. i was writing more about these when my computer died, i jsut wanted to mention that i didnt even use vanilla, i figured that my imitation vanilla really has no place inside my home anymore. but i need to make/buy some real stuff. the possiblities for these is endless.last comment of the night, i promise

    ReplyDelete
  24. Michelle,

    I agree with you, there are many directions these can go. After we finish the first batch I will be making a different flavor.

    Have a good evening,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails