Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Summer Rolls


Summer Rolls are something I make when I want a different form of salad. Traditionally the filling contains rice noodles and veggies. My version tonight is all veggies since we were getting plenty of carbs from the congee.

The rolls can contain any veggies you like or have on hand. Tonight I included shredded napa cabbage, baby spinach, thinly sliced red bell pepper, shredded carrots, green onions and cilantro. In the summer when the mint is plentiful I always add that to the rolls. I am going to post the method instead of a recipe for these.



Start with dried spring roll wrappers made of rice flour and tapioca. Heat a large bowl of water to approximately 110 degrees. You want warm water to soften the wrappers, but not so hot you can’t reach into the water and gently remove the softened wrapper. Place one wrapper in the bowl of warm water and allow to soften completely on its own. This will take anywhere from one to two minutes depending on the temperature of the water.

Cover a cutting board with a damp paper towel. This makes it easier to grab the thin wet wrapper so you can roll it. Gently remove the flexible wrapper from the water and place it flat on the damp towel. Fill the end of the wrapper with veggies of your choice. Roll the wrapper around the veggies and tightly as possible without tearing the paper.  It is important to be firm and gentle. Fold the ends in like a burrito and continue to roll until you have something that looks like the picture of the finished rolls.

If you won’t be eating these right away place them in a sealable container on top another damp paper towel (to keep them from sticking to the container). Add another damp paper towel if you are adding a secondlayer of the rolls in the container. Top the last layer with another damp paper towel. I have been able to hold the summer rolls in the refrigerator for a day by using the damp paper towels in a closed container. When I send these to work for my husband I wrap each roll in a piece of wax paper and place them in a larger resealable container.

I served this tonight with the Asian walnut dipping sauce I made yesterday. They were tasty and a different way to eat salad.

If my directions are not clear please let me know and I will make another summer roll and photograph the process and edit this post.

Unrelated Note:

I spoke too soon about the weather changing. When we checked the weather channel this morning they are calling for snow again today. Not much snow, just enough to make a gray day and a slushy mess. My reaction to this? Great, more snow, I can’t wait! Blah!

On a happier note, I did manage to stick to my menu for one day. This is a miracle at my house. I normally change my mind a dozen times before I settle on what to make for dinner. My husband is particularly shocked that I made what I had planned. In the interest of sticking to a menu plan for two days in a row, tonight I intend to make mushroom burgers. We will see if I can keep the streak going, if I do it will be the first time I have stayed on track (menu wise) for two days. Wish me luck! ;)

For now I need to cross a few things off my to do list. I have an idea of another juice that I want to make myself for lunch. I should have that posted not long after lunch. I hope you are all having a great day today.

19 comments:

  1. Love your recipes. I'm going to try these rolls. My mom asked me yesterday what kind of sandwiches can I eat now that I'm vegan? Now I can tell her about spring rolls. Thx!!

    Deborah at FledglingVegan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deborah,

    Thank you for the nice compliment! :)

    I love making these. You need a sauce to go with these, like salad needs dressing. Sometimes I just make a quick sauce of liquid aminos, mirin and peanut butter. A thicker sauce is less messy to eat.

    If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. i make spring rolls for walter all the time but i seriously have a problem with the texture. they are pretty though (well after i messed up a few mine got nicer:) i love giving a whole un dampened disc to the animals, its like a whole bunch of flying saucer mouths invaded the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,

    What is your favorite dipping sauce for the rolls?

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. What makes the difference between spring rolls and summer rolls? The filling? From your photo I might have guessed summer produce like tomatoes and basil, but I'd appreciate an official explanation. :-)

    http://www.thaiplacepgh.com/wexford/Wexford_dinner_menu.pdf

    Above is the restaurant spring roll I have enjoyed in our area--second item on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy,

    Great question, I wish I had a better answer but here goes. Summer roll and spring roll are frequently used interchangeably. However, sometimes spring rolls are fried (where summer rolls don’t ever seem to be). I used the name summer roll because I didn’t want anyone to think they would be fried.

    The menu you linked to had a spring roll above the one you mentioned. I bet that one is fried. Have you ordered it before? I have found that the spring rolls which aren’t fried are frequently called fresh or soft spring rolls, like at your local Thai restaurant. I only mention this because I ordered spring rolls once in a new restaurant and fried ones came to the table which we didn’t eat. It was rather a waste. Now I always ask if they are fried or fresh.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely need to try these. I love spring rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather,

    I really like these. Something about putting veggies in soft rice paper just makes them taste better. I think I may just like to hold my food. ;)

    hope you are feeling better today,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. i mix siracha, liquid aminos, thai sweet chili sauce and sometimes sugar, oh and then he puts fish sauce in it also. sometimes we leave out some of the ing, whatever he wants.

    for filling the roll he puts down sliced meaty stuff(i dont know what) and shrimp then i put on glass noodles, mint leaf, bean sprouts and red leaf lettuce. thats how he woud order them in the the restaurants in cali.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those rolls look pretty; I buy the same brand of rice paper...I like the rose on the package.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle,

    I love the sound of your sauce. Thanks so much for sharing that!

    You should try varying your fillings. Mine are never the same from time to time. Bean sprouts are a great idea. I may try some broccoli sprouts in my next batch.

    Rose,

    You like the rose on the package .... gee, I wonder why? LOL.

    What sauce do you use with your rolls? As you can tell I am looking for ideas of how to vary the taste. ;)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I don't know...I usually go for a mixture of tamari, chilis, and lime juice/or rice vinegar, with some tiny chopped chives...and/or sweet chili sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rose,

    I like the sound of your sauce too. Particularly the lime. Thanks for sharing!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  14. i like the idea of the wraps, but i just hate the texture of these particular ones. also i think if im going to eat white foods id rathr eat a tortilla or pasta. if you use sprouts you have to layer them in the middle becasue they EASILY poke right through the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle,

    That is so interesting. I love the texture of fresh spring rolls (or summer rolls) . While I don’t eat much white food, these are so low in calories I don’t think they are a big deal when consumed in moderation. But if you don’t like them you it makes sense to “spend” your less healthy calories elsewhere.

    Great point on the sprouts in general. I think the broccoli sprouts will be fine since they are so soft but not all sprouts are.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing this...should taste great..also understood how this is different from veggie spring roll..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nithu,

    So glad you like it. Once you make these you will be putting all sorts of veggies into rice paper. At least that is what happened to me! ;)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually make fresh rolls like this pretty often (loaded with avocado, it I have some!), so I know how yummy they can be! I can't wait to try that dressing, though, it looks creamy, delicious, and kicky. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Allison,

    What a great idea to add avocado to the rolls. I love that idea! Thanks so much for sharing it.

    I hope you like the dressing. Dan and I both thought it was great and a departure from the usual!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails