Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tofu and Pine Nut Mayonnaise - Version 1


This mayonnaise came about as a reader request. The goal was a no oil tofu mayonnaise that tasted like the popular vegan refrigerated mayonnaise we all love. Was I worried, darn straight I was! Even tought I had cracked the code on the full fat version I wasn’t too certain how easy a no oil version would be to make. My fears were well founded. I first tried an all tofu version last week that was a total no go. No matter what I tried it just wasn’t right, it always had an overpowering tofu flavor.

Last night I decided to try adding pine nuts for fat since they have such a mild flavor. That helped quite a bit. This mayonnaise still has a bit of tofu taste in the background. But it isn’t much at all. Especially considering it is less than 30 calories per tablespoon. I wanted to post this recipe now in case any of you devotees of Dr’s. McDougall, Fuhrman or Esselstyn are missing mayonnaise and wanted to give it a try. I will post the final version when I have finished tweaking the flavorings. That may take me a while since we don’t eat much mayo here. For now, here is the pretty darn good version of no oil mayonnaise with an update to come.

Tofu and Pine Nut Mayonnaise - Version 1
Makes approximately 23 tablespoons

Ingredients:

½ cup pine nuts, soaked at least 4 hours and drained well
7 ounces extra firm water packed tofu, drained well (1/2 block)
¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon agave
2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
Water, as necessary to blend not much maybe a tablespoon
salt and white pepper, to tase

Directions:

Combine everything in your food processor or blender and process until smooth. You may need to add a little water to get everything smooth. I added about a tablespoon.  Add salt and white pepper to taste.  The flavor improves and blends as it sits in the refrigerator.

Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Should keep for a week.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 27.85
Calories From Fat (76%) - 21.04

Total Fat - 2.51g
Saturated Fat - 0.19g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 0.83mg
Potassium - 29.77mg
Total Carbohydrates - 0.61g
Fiber - 0.15g
Sugar - 0.16g
Protein - 1.26g

Comments:

The texture is similar but not exactly like mayo. However without all the oil you wouldn’t expect it to be as smooth. The flavor is close, but needs a little tweaking. I can taste a subtle tofu background. When it is combined with other foods, since mayo doesn’t get eaten alone, the flavor is fine.

Since I like flavored mayo I will be adding something to ours, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, wasabi, tapenade, sriracha or dijon. These are additions I have used in regular mayonnaise so I know they will work well here.

Unrelated note:

Can you believe this is my 800th post? I was shocked when I realized this. When I started the blog I had no idea how I would think of anything to write. Apparently that isn't a problem any more.  Thank you all for reading, for your comments and emails with well wishes and questions. They mean more to me than you know. :-)

I hope you having a fabulous nearly spring day where you are.  I am going to head outside to enjoy more sunshine.  Talk to you all later.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I like to make flavored mayos for sandwiches (like roasted red bell pepper) so I imagine blending in something like that would be fantastic and you'd almost never know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    Roasted red pepper mayo is a great idea. How did I forget that one? My favorite is sriracha mayo. But I love spicy stuff. I agree with you once you add flavorings it will be hard to taste the difference.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I have been making a tofu mayo for years that tastes nothing like the store-bought vegan kind, but I've just gotten used to it. I think I will give this a whirl.

    Question: do you use unroasted raw pine nuts?

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good, thanks for the recipe, I must give it a go next time mayo is in order.

    800 posts? Wow! I know people that have been blogging longer and only celebrating their 100th post...you are very prolific indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nathan,

    I really hope you like this! I will be curious to hear what you think. If you have any suggestions for how to improve it please share. I love suggestions!

    Yes, I did use raw unroasted pine nuts. Soaking them did help them to break down more easily.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose,

    I think this will rock with a little sriracha, which is what I have planned for it. I hope you like it too. If you have any suggestions I would love to know what they are.

    Can you believe I have that many posts? Clearly I have too much to share! LOL.

    ttyl,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks to the Head Chef and Chief Researcher at the Area 51 Kitchen, Experimental Foods Special Requests Division, for this low-fat, oil free vegan Mayo! ***crowd applause***

    And congratulations on your 800th post! But that's only about 12 days' worth for you, isn't it? I thought you'd been posting a lot longer than that. Must be an accounting error. LOL :-)~

    Thank you again for the recipe, and for your helpful, tasty, fun, informative, prolific and all-'round-nifty blog!! :-)

    I'd stay longer and compliment you further, but I must go look up "sriracha" now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lalo,

    Funny as always! You make me laugh every day.

    I hope you like it. Please do share any changes you make. I would love to hear them!

    OMG, you haven't had sriracha? You must get some the next time you go to the store. I love the stuff and it is fabulous in mayo. My chef friend turned me on to it. It is a staple item in my kitchen. If you can't find it let me know I will email you a link. And it I have to a bottle. You really must have this in your kitchen!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anardana,

    Thanks! Very nice of you to say so. :-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know, Ali, that was a pretty lukewarm review of sriracha, I'm not sure it's worth the effort of looking for it if you're not any fonder of it than that!

    LOL - I read you loud and clear, and will leave no tumbleweed or cowpat unturned in my search through my pathetic local burg's pitiful grocery stores tomorrow. (Really, I should apply for a job with the local chamber of commerce. I could do outreach and marketing so well! lol)

    I'll let you know if I find it! Meanwhile ~ pray tell, how do you pronounce "sriracha?"

    (And I'm happy I make you laugh! The day I make you snort soy milk through your nose will be my coup de grace.) :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lalo,

    I can have a bottle to you in a week. Let me know if I need to send it. It really is no trouble.

    I am not positive how you pronouce it, only how I say. We are having Ian make dinner tonight. Assuming he is working tonight I will see if he knows the correct pronounciation.

    You should go for green tea up the nose instead. I drink that much more often so it is more likely to happen. ;-)

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  12. How about green tea snorted through your nose for St. Patrick's Day! Think how festive THAT would be! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lalo,

    LOL, that was witty and very funny! Thanks for the laugh.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes! Sriracha mayo YUM. I have not thought of that one. I love spicy too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heather,

    Sriracha mayo is amazing! You really should try it. It is my favorite mayo hands down.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Alicia,

    Congrats on your 800th post! You're absolutely amazing and thank you so much for such great inspiration you've been sharing!

    We usually don't use mayo here but your version sounds fantastic, I will definitely give it a try as I'm a huge fan of tofu and pine nut:)

    P.S. I just noticed your new profile photo, you look so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oraphan,

    Hi there buddy! Glad you are back. I hope they haven't been working you too hard.

    Thanks for the nice compliments.

    hope to hear from you again soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds great. But I know what you mean about the tofu taste. There was recently a poppyseed salad dressing on Choosing Raw's blog that used pine nuts and I thought the texture was much like a light mayo. You might want to play with it w/o the poppyseeds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ricki,

    Thanks for the suggestion! I made a pine nut mayo a few months ago, but added oil at that time. Maybe I need to revisit that without the oil.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails