Thursday, March 25, 2010

Carrot and Walnut Dressing with Cumin


As I have said many times I get very bored by eating the same dishes over and over again. That is the biggest reason you see so many recipes on my blog. I am constantly trying new ways to use foods to make them taste different. This dressing is a variation of the walnut dressing I posted here. This time I used carrot instead of water to add more body and flavor. This makes a nice dressing that has the consistency of ranch without the calories. I like the way it coats the leaves without feeling heavy. Here is what I did.

Carrot and Walnut Dressing with Cumin
Makes approximately 2 cups or 32 tablespoons

Ingredients:

1 carrot, scrubbed and cut into small pieces
½ cup water
1 cup walnuts
½ clove garlic (or 1 small clove) peeled and minced
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Directions:

Combine everything in your blender and puree until completely smooth. Depending on your blender you may need to add a little water to help the mixture puree. Refrigerate in a covered jar until needed.

Nutritional Information per tablespoon:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 25.67
Calories From Fat (78%) - 20.08

Total Fat - 2.4g
Saturated Fat - 0.23g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 11.75mg
Potassium - 28.43mg
Total Carbohydrates - 0.88g
Fiber - 0.35g
Sugar - 0.26g
Protein - 0.6g

Comments:

We had this tonight on a simple salad of baby spinach, grape tomatoes, and cucumber. It added a nice flavor to the salad without being overpowering. This is a combination that I will use again.

Unrelated note:

I was a little busier today than I expected. However, I did get a few things accomplished that were on my list so that was great. But it necessitated a quick dinner. I made Reuben inspired topped potatoes to go with our salad tonight for dinner. Since I used the microwave for the potatoes and to heat the sauerkraut this was a fast dinner. It is so late now that I don’t have time to get it posted this evening. However you can expect to see that recipe tomorrow.

I hope you are all having a great evening, and talk to you tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Your timing is perfect! I am in the midst of a nut cheese and dressing fest in my kitchen - this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holla,

    I have been making many nut cheeses lately myself. I hope you like this dressing.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this dressing looks great! I love the color too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet,

    I also loved the color of this dressing. The texture is really nice too.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails