Friday, January 1, 2010

Black-eyed Peas and Brown Rice



For as long as I can remember we have had black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day for good luck. I was always told it was a Southern tradition. However, I just think they taste good and are good for you. To make the dish healthier I don’t add oil and use brown rice versus white. I also add whatever veggies I have on hand that I think will work to the pot. Today I had zucchini in the refrigerator so that went in. Here is what we had tonight for dinner for “good luck” because we can all use a little more of that.

Black-eyed Peas and Brown Rice
Serves 6 generously

Ingredients:

1 pound dried black-eyed peas, picked through and soaked for a couple of hours
3 bay leaves
Water to cover the peas
28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
1 red onion, thinly sliced
5 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
½ teaspoon cumin seed
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
2 cups red bell pepper, finely diced
4 cups zucchini, finely diced
1 lime, zested and juiced
1 cup brown basmati rice
2 cups water

Directions:

Cook the black-eyed peas and bay leaves in water until tender (about 30 minutes). Add the tomatoes, red onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, thyme, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, bell pepper, and zucchini and cook until the rice is ready.

While the peas cook combine the rice and water and cook covered at a simmer for 40 minutes. Allow to stand 10 minutes after the water has evaporated and then uncover and fluff with a fork.

When you are ready to serve add the lime zest and juice to the peas and stir to combine. Serve the peas with a scoop of rice on top.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 378.34
Calories From Fat (6%) - 21.17

Total Fat - 2.52g
Saturated Fat - 0.53g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 232.42mg
Potassium - 1184.28mg
Total Carbohydrates - 73.76g
Fiber - 16.55g
Sugar - 12.39g
Protein - 18.81g

Comments:

We had this tonight with a nice green salad on the side and were very satisfied. The combination of beans and rice is something we find to be very filling.

Each serving of this meal contains approximately 2,400IU of vitamin A, 75mg of vitamin C, 110mg of calcium, 6mg of iron, 425mcg of folate, 450mg of phosphorus, 175mg of magnesium, 3mg of zinc and 12mcg of selenium. Pretty darn good for fewer than 400 calories.

I added the lime juice at the end for acidity to reduce the need for additional sodium. The lime zest was also added for freshness. Fresh herbs would make a nice addition before serving (either cilantro or parsley).

Unrelated note:

I have an interesting salad to post tonight that I think you will enjoy. The flavors are unusual but are nice together and very aromatic. I will be back with that recipe in the next hour or so.

11 comments:

  1. Looks like a yummy, lucky, healthy dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    It was tasty, and yes .... very healthy. The lucky is yet to be determined. Having black-eyed peas is a tradition in our family that I try to maintain.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love to have "hoppin' john" for New Year's, too, but this year I didn't want to go out for the blackeyes, and after using some navy beans to weight a pie crust for Christmas, so that they were a little "used" already, I decided to work with them. It's not vegan, but I used broth from our smoked turkey, a big can of diced tomatoes, a couple of ribs of celery, several slices of hot peppers I froze several weeks ago, some red, some white, and some dehydrated onion (we were running out!), diced carrots, and that's about it. Everybody loved it, and I did serve it over rice, with diced smoked turkey and chopped raw onion (hubby had in the meantime made a grocery run for me, bless his heart) to garnish. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy,

    I can relate to not wanting to go to the grocery store (and I live walking distance to three different ones). Onions flakes are something I keep on hand too, just in case I run out of raw onions.

    Your hubby sounds like a gem like mine. My sweetie is always running errands for me too.

    Your beans sound very similar to mine. Quick question. How did the "prebaked" beans work out? Did they take a lot longer to cook? I am often wondered about that.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, wish I would have had this recipe before I made my black-eyed pea dish for the evening! Looks and sounds yummy and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bean soups. I love the idea of rice too, makes it a real complete hearty meal, reminds me of something you could find in new orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather,

    I am sure your black-eye peas were great. But that was a very nice thing to say.

    Dani,

    I agree it does sound like something from New Orleans.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so healthy and delicious! What an interesting dish! I've never cooked black-eyed peas before, this dish sounds like a great comfort food, Mmmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oraphan,

    For some reason I only cook black-eyed peas a few times a year. However, I should cook them more often since they are a relatively quick cooking bean. They have a nice soft texture. You should try them, I think you will like them.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Black-eyed peas were a New Year's tradition in my family, too. We're/they're Southern. I hated it as a kid -- I though they were gross. Last year we did a curry dish with them that was wonderful, though, and this year a friend made "Texas caviar." Your recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brigid,

    I didn't like black-eyed peas as a kid either. You weren't alone in that.

    Texas caviar is good. I almost made that yesterday.

    I love the sound of a curry version. Great idea, thanks for mentioning it.

    I hope you are having a great New Year,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails