Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Dinner Out

Yesterday was hectic in our lives, but it was all good. We had so many things to do outside the house that we ended up stopping for dinner before Wegman’s. Since we loved the Faux Hunan Duck from Jesse Wong’s in Hunt Valley (a local chain) we decided to stop there again tonight.

We had our favorite soup, Miso. The soup contained fresh shitakes, which we both love. There really is nothing like a nice light miso soup to start a meal. I think it is my favorite soup.



Then we had cucumber and avocado sushi rolls. If only they had been made with brown rice, they would have been perfect. I always marvel and how tight sushi chefs can wrap the rolls. Apparently I need more sushi rolling practice.



Once again we ordered the Hunan Duck with Faux Duck. The texture of the duck is tender, but very “meaty”. The menu says it is layers of tofu skin but I haven’t figured out how they make this. However, I do plan to play around with the idea. Making the tofu skin should be easy. All I need to do is figure out how they form the layers of skin into the faux meat. This is definitely a project I will be working on for a while. I love experimenting in the kitchen.



Unrelated Note:

I will be back later today with a recipe or two. I still have a few backlogged recipes to post. For now I am off to exercise. Have a great day and I will talk to you all later.

16 comments:

  1. faux duck...interesting! I've never seen that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a sneaky suspicion that if anyone can figure it out, it's you! Hope you enjoyed your exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna,

    The faux duck is without question the best faux meat we have had yet. If you see any faux meat made with tofu skin you should try it.

    Heather,

    Exercise was good, thanks for asking.

    I appreciate the compliment. I hope I can replicate the faux duck because it is amazing. Definitely something I am going to work on.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. The food looks tasty...that's interesting about the faux duck...is tofu skin the same as beancurd sheets?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose,

    I have tried working with the dried bean curd sheets before so I don't think it was made from that. But, it could be the fresh sheets they sell in the refrigerated case. That was where I was going to start my experiement. I was thinking they stacked the sheets and them covered with soy milk and compressed them. I have no idea but that is how I was going to start. Do you have any thoughts on this?

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - that looks fantastic! You are right about miso - when I was in Japan I ate it for breakfast every day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hollafoodzone,

    I adore miso soup and could eat it everyday without a problem.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. The miso soup looks amazing.. so do the rest of the dishes.. yum..
    Debra @ Vegan Family Style

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debra,

    How are you doing? You haven't been around in a while. Nice of you to stop by.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes,I agree...if you reconstitute the dried ones and layer it with a savory mixture and compress it...maybe that's how they do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rose,

    Your idea sounds great. Different from what we had but great. I will definitely give it a try.

    The version we had at the restaurant was simiar in texture to compressed tofu, but chewier. Sorry I can't describe it better, wish I could. If you could taste it too I know we could figure it out. I will ask questions the next time we go to the restaurant.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Alicia!
    Greetings!
    Great posting as usual!
    Thank you so much for visiting and commenting on my blog!
    Plenty of vegan sushi to caome!
    Cheers,
    Robert-Gilles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robert,

    Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    If you have any idea regarding how they make the faux duck with tofu skin I would love to hear.

    Can't wait to see your next vegan sushi post,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, I just saw this reference to faux duck, and immediately thought of you. Bittman is talking about tofu skins, and the commenters have a bit of discussion. Worth a peak, if you're still researching.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry! I didn't leave the link! http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/10/playing-with-tofu-skins/#comment-79691

    ReplyDelete
  16. PaganAngel,

    Thank you so much! I will definitely be checking this out.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails