Sunday, January 17, 2010

Weekend Update


That title sounds like Saturday Night Live to me. Wasn’t that the name of the news bit on Saturday Night Live in the 70’s? Anyway, I wanted to give you a quick update on the weekend.

Friday night we met our friend Louis for dinner at Jesse Wong’s in Hunt Valley, because my husband and I are both obsessed with the faux duck. How do they make it tear like poultry? I am definitely going to play around with this idea and see if I can make faux duck at home, just as soon as I have a little bit more time.

We had our usual miso soup, veggie sushi and Hunan faux duck. It was great, as always

Louis got shitake mushrooms and green beans, which has become his usual. Isn’t it nice of him to get a vegetarian entrée when having dinner with us? So thoughtful.

After dinner we stopped as Wegman’s since we were right there. While we were there we bought hemp protein powder for our smoothies. We also bought a small mountain of fresh produce, light coconut milk and tofu. All the essentials.

While at Wegman’s we were looking at the raw granola but it had so many sugar grams we didn’t buy it. So when we got home we ordered some raw buckwheat from Amazon. This led to also buying raw black sunflower seeds, and a wheat grass kit. For those of you that know me well the wheat grass is a big step for me. I have been trying to add more raw food to our diet but wheat grass is not one of my favorite flavors. However I keep reading how good it is for us so I have decided to dive in (head first so I hope the water is deep). We will see how this goes. (fingers crossed).

Saturday was very low keyed but ended with a funny movie that most of you have probably seen. The hubby and I tend to pick up movies and then never take them out of the cellophane. His little brother refers to this as our collectible movie collection. It really is ridiculous that we do that, but it is just something that seems to happen. I was laughing out loud at parts of the movie so I wanted to share. This movie is probably funnier for those of us that are over 40. It is about an older man who only dates young women but falls for a woman his own age. If you haven’t seen Something’s Gotta Give you really should. The scene where they are in the theatre and staging her play had me laughing so hard tears were rolling down my cheeks. I have read many times that laughter is great medicine, and if that is true this movie is good for your health.

I need to get back into the kitchen now. The hubby and I decided to have Seitan Cacciatore tonight for dinner and I am out of seitan in the freezer so I need to make that first. I will be back later with the Cacciatore recipe. I hope you are all having a wonderful day.

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a good weekend! I can't wait to see your Seitan Cacciatore recipe :-)

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,

    We are having a good weekend. I hope to have the Seitan Cacciatore posted tonight.

    Heather,

    Other than the rain today it has been a great weekend.


    I hope you ladies are having a nice weekend too. Time for me to write the Cacciatore recipe from my notes before I get lazy.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessed Mama,

    It was a great food night. Made even better by the lack of my having to clean up my kitchen. While I love to cook, cleaning ... not so much. And with as often as I cook, there is much time spent cleaning the kitchen.

    I hope you are having a good weekend,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck trying to find out how Jesse Wong's makes their faux duck. We have the same mystery with Sunflower's Soy Protein chunks. So succulent. How do they do it????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shenandoah,

    I think I am going to need all the luck I can get reproducing the faux duck. I only have a few ideas on this, if those don't work then I may have to admit defeat and purchase a commercial version.

    Alica

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to Hunt Valley Wegman's for the first time last month when visiting my family. One thing that I really didn't like was how large the carts were in proportion to the width of the aisle. There were constant logjams.

    Their produce section was really impressive, though, and they had a number of things that we have to go to Whole Foods to get.

    Which reminds me, when I was at my family's house, I bought some collard greens at Whole Foods. I'm not sure if they had never eaten them before, but my parents really liked the taste. The next day, my dad goes grocery shopping at Safeway and comes back with two pounds of collards. They looked awful. Like they had been sitting out for two weeks. That's why I'll continue to do my primary shopping at Whole Foods even though their prices are significantly higher than the typical grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt,

    Wegman's can be a mad house unless you go at off hours. I tend to go early in the morning 8am or late in the evenings (after 9pm). When you go at odd times it is a much more pleasant experience. I avoid shopping the peak hours whenever possible.

    We like collards, but I don't buy them often. Probably because I was raised in the mid-west.

    I agree with you that many grocery stores sell produce that isn't as fresh as it should be. That is one reason I can't wait for spring so the farm market opens again.

    hope you had a great weekend,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. First-timers to Wegmans (myself included) often just grab the first cart they see, which can be the kind with a long shelf on the bottom. If you nose around a bit, more manageable carts can be found.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matt,

    Shenadoah is correct the Hunt Valley store does have smaller carts (the bottom and top are the same size -- or close). When you go during peak times I imagine they can be difficult to find because they don't have as many as the large carts. I always grab a big cart to load up on produce and organic beans so I forgot about the smaller carts.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Matt,

    That was good! :) Not so much anti-collards as no collards. I don't remember ever seeing them in the mid-west when I was growing up. I think they are more of a Southern veg and I grew up on the shores of Lake Michigan where is snows five or six months a year.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alicia,

    I didn't mean anything by my question, honest. Obviously my parents have not eaten much collards in their lives.

    Anyway, I figured that you would be big on collards since they're one of the healthiest foods around.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Matt,

    I knew you didn't mean anything, I thought it was funny. Really! :) Your sense of humor reminds me of my husband.

    I don't know why I don't buy collards more often. I always seem to grab the kale first. My hubby isn't thrilled with strong leafy greens but will eat kale (go figure) so I tend to go for the one I can get into him with the least amount of fuss.

    Hopefully those midwesterners have changed their ways since I was a kid and they eat more collards now. ;)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saturday Night Live is one of the few shows I'm totally dedicated to, and Weekend Update is one of my favorite segments. They still call it that :) This weekend it was Sigourney Weaver hosting, and it was one of the funniest episodes I have seen a long time.

    Something's Gotta Give is definitely in my top 5 of romantic comedies (and typically I'm not a romantic comedy type of girl, so it is a short list). Glad you loved it too!

    Oh and your cacciatore looks scrumptious! As soon as I'm done with this 10 day cleanse, trying your seitan is at the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sarah,

    Thanks for confirming the SNL bit for me. I thought that was the name, but it has been many years since I have seen SNL.

    Something's Gotta Give was so funny. I can't believe it has been on my shelf for years and I never watched it.

    How is the cleanse going so far? I hope it has been easy for you and that you are experiencing positive benefits.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm on day 2, and so far so good! Day 1 was a very active day involving lots of walking around in Chicago, including the Field Museum. I was shocked at how much energy I had and how sustained I was from the raw breakfast and lunch with no snacking! More updates to come.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sarah,

    I am glad the cleanse is going well so far. Can't wait to hear more.

    I haven't been to the Field Museum in years but I remember it so fondly. Such a great Museum!

    I hope you had a good time in Chicago.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails