Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Vegetable Soups From Deborah Madison’s Kitchen


Those you that also read Oraphan’s blog “Easy Veggie” knows that I won one of the books in her recent contest. How I managed to win a book I don’t own is a miracle. My cookbook collection is frighteningly large. Not only did I win a book I don’t own but it is by an author I like. I have spent the last few days reading each recipe and the book looks fabulous.

Deborah Madison’s” Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone” is one of my favorite books. I have cooked my own variations of most of the recipes in that book. Vegetable Soups is just as nice. The book is divided into eight chapters as follows:

• Light Broths and Restorative Soups
• Hearty Bean Soups
• Lentil and Pea Soups
• Soups Based on Bread and Grains
• Vegetable Soups for Spring
• Summer Soups
• Roasted Vegetable Soups for Fall
• Winter Soups

Additionally there is also a section on doctoring up canned soups, which we can all use sometimes. Even I have some canned soup in the pantry for those times when I just don’t feel like cooking.

This book is beautifully photographed and the recipes are creative like her other books. The soup I have my eye on for tonight is a Yellow Pea and Coconut Milk Soup with Spinach, Rice and Spiced Yogurt. The original recipe is vegetarian, not vegan, but will be very easy to make vegan, like all her recipes.

I am really looking forward to cooking my way through this book. As always I will be modifying the recipes since that is how I cook. Since it is definitely soup weather I thought it would be a good idea to start with tonight’s dinner.

Thank you Oraphan for the beautiful book and the lovely card you sent with it.

For now I am off to get a pot of soup started. I will be back later with my modified soup recipe.

Don't forget about the Healthy Cooking Challenge. You have until midnight (your time) to submit a recipe.

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on your win. That book really sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia,
    I really love reading this review, you did such an outstanding job. I will have to send this link to Deborah Madison, I think she needs to read it.

    I'm so glad you received the book alright and you loved it! Can't wait to see what you will cook first:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot to tell you that I've been trying very hard to come up with something for your healthy cooking challenge. I love to do things "last minute" so I know the deadline is the end of the month, Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,

    Thanks. It is a beautiful book. You should check it out.

    Oraphan,

    Thank you for the book. It is really nice. She does things with soup that I wouldn't have thought of. I am making a version of the soup on page 88 tonight.

    I am tend to procrastinate too so I understand. Can't wait to see what you submit.

    talk to you both later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful book...can't wait to see the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose,

    You should take a look at the book. I am really happy with it. Her flavor combinations are not typical of soup recipes. But as soon as you read them you will think, "why didn't I think of that".

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a wonderful book. It looks as if it would be worth it to buy it for the beautiful cover alone. It would look awfully pretty hanging out in the kitchen. lol!

    I wish I could find time to join your challenge. My school work load is a little too heavy for that, but I will greatly enjoy reading what others come up with... and expect to find inspiration.

    Maybe for another month you can have a "vegan fast food" challenge. That is my specialty these days! Always cooking in a hurry, but still using as few processed items as possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aisling,

    Good idea "healthy vegan fast food". I will keep that one in mind.

    I hope school is going well and you are enjoying it,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how they split the chapters into summer vs. winter soups, congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing. I certainly do not need one more cookbook (well, yes I do)...this may be too hard to pass up with my new-found love for soups.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Molly,

    I like the seasonal chapters too. It just makes so much sense to categorize recipes that way.

    Heather,

    I own so many it is embarrassing to tell anyone how many. But I have them shelved by topic (Vegan, Vegetarian, General Techniques, Mexican, Russian ... you get the idea). This book will be one I use often though. Most of them I read once and then they go on a shelf to be dusted a few times a year. You should check it out the next time you get to the bookstore.

    Alicia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good lord, this sounds good! I have an award for you at http://www.thegeekygourmet.net/2010/01/my-first-award-honest-scrap.html, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristi,

    Congrats on your award and thanks for passing it along to me.

    You should try this soup. I was stunned by how well Thai flavors worked with yellow split pea.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails