Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Carrot, Apple, Celery and Ginger Juice


Tonight we are going out for dinner with a good friend of ours. He lives in Springfield, Missouri (not exactly near Maryland) so we only see him about once a month. No doubt we will have a fabulous evening as we always do when Phil is in town. However, dinner won’t be a healthy as I would make for us at home. Since I know this I will be eating super healthy today until dinner.

For breakfast this morning I had a grapefruit followed by this fresh juice. I love fresh fruit and vegetable juice in the morning. Here is what I had this morning as part of my breakfast.

Carrot, Apple, Celery and Ginger Juice
Serves 1

Ingredients:

2 carrots, scrubbed and tops removed, cut into chunks
1 apple, cored and cut into chunks
1 stalk of celery, cut into chunks
1 tablespoons fresh ginger, sliced thin (or to taste)
¼ cup of water, or what is necessary to get the food to begin to blend

Directions:

Toss everything in your blender and process until smooth. You may want to start with less fresh ginger. I love the sharp taste of it, but not everyone likes it as much as I do. You may need to stop the blender and push the food down toward the blade to get it all to process.

Drink immediately.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 154.08
Calories From Fat (4%) - 6.56

Total Fat - 0.78g
Saturated Fat - 0.14g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 150.42mg
Potassium - 827.91mg
Total Carbohydrates - 37.84g
Fiber - 8.78g
Sugar - 23.02g
Protein - 2.37g

Comments:

I make a lot of fruit of vegetable juices. The combination of apple and carrot is one of my favorites. Ginger just seems like a natural to add into the juice. I am a huge fan of the spicy zip of ginger. That burn you get on the back of your throat from ginger is great. As you can tell I really like it. If you aren’t as much a fan of it as I am start with less.

This morning I woke up with a touch of sinus congestion. Nothing worthy of taking a pill, just an annoying pressure in my head. Within 10 minutes of finishing this juice my sinuses were wide open. I think the ginger is what made the difference but that is just a guess based on my experience. Has anyone else had this happen to him or her?

This serving of juice contains 27,300IU of vitamin A, 80mg of calcium, 50mcg of folate, 85mg of phosphorus, and 35mg of magnesium. I love that this juice contains so much vitamin A.

Unrelated note:

It is time for me to get a few things accomplished before I need to run to the airport. With a little luck I will be back with another recipe before I have to leave.

8 comments:

  1. I can't stand seeing all of these great juice recipes!! :) I really want a juicer. any recommendations of a good one to start with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    I made this juice in my Vitamix so that I got the fiber and juice. We did buy a juicer at Christmas, which we like. It is an Omega 8006 masticating juicer. I don't really think you need both, although it is nice. I would start with a good heavy duty blender (like a Vitamix or Blendtec).

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I just got a juicer for my birthday! Can't wait to give this juice a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna,

    I hope you like the juice as much as I do.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love celery in juice...inspired by your pear juice smoothies last week, I made a pear-celery juice. The celery gives a refreshing dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose,

    I like celery in juice too. Cucumber is another good thing to add, but the skin can change the color of the final juice sometimes (depending on the other ingredients).

    I love the sound of celery and pear. That one just went on my list to try. Thanks for sharing.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm I love carrot juice, and I love celery in juices, and adore ginger too. Ive never tried blending to make a juice but am keen to. I always feel bad about wasting the fibre with a juicer. DO you think a regular blender would be strong enough? I dont have a strong one like vitamix yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Venus,

    Yes a regular blender should be fine. I used to make juice in a KitchenAid blender before I got the Vitamix. When you are using a regular blender it helps to cut the pieces of fruit and vegetable smaller and you may need to add more liquid. When you slice the ginger make certain it is cut thin and against the grain so you don't get large bits of ginger in your final juice.

    Great question, thanks for asking,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails