Sunday, January 3, 2010

One Really Long Bleh Day

I have not been myself all day today. Strangely, I didn’t even really feel like cooking. That is when I know something is wrong. I did actually cook, I just didn’t measure and write everything down (horrors, I know). Today I was just feeling very bleh, and not really in much of a mood to do anything. I hate it when I get in this mood.

We started the morning with a wild blueberry and banana smoothie like this one but substituted water for the almond milk.

For lunch I had a quick salad, very much like this one only without the tofu sour cream.

Then I decided to play around with the new dehydrator and work on a raw nut cheese that I could use in slices. Since I am not following someone else’s recipe, we will see how it turns out (fingers crossed). This one I did measure and write down since I expected to need to tweak the recipe. I will give you the recipe as soon as I like it. The cheese is still dehydrating so I have no idea how, or if it worked.



After the “cheese” experiment got started I cooked a pound of chickpeas and turned them into chickpea burgers and fat free hummus (like this one without the sweet potato). The chickpea burgers were 4 cups of hot chickpeas (mashed with a fork), one carrot shredded, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and minced garlic. Form into 5 patties and bake on a parchment lined sheet pan at 325 degrees. Spray the top of the bean burger with pan spray and flip gently after 30 minutes, spray the other side and bake 30 minutes more. Serve hot with salsa.




To go with the baked chickpea burgers I made a quick Mexican inspired cole slaw. Again, no measuring but I can tell you what I did roughly. Shred ½ head of red cabbage and one carrot. Defrost two cups of corn. Toss the veggies together. In a food processor combine 1 box of firm silken tofu (12.3 ounce) with cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Combine the veggies and dressing and chill until you are ready to serve.

Sorry this isn’t one of my usual posts. I hope you are all having a more upbeat day than I am. It is time for me to go relax in a hot bath with a good book. I will be back to my usual self tomorrow. These moods only happen once or twice a year and never last long.

13 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you're feeling blah, but the food looks great as usual.

    Pamper yourself a little ...you deserve it. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    Thanks. I am starting to come around. The hot bath helped a lot. I am sure a good nights sleep and I will be fine.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I hate those bleh days too! Glad the hot bath helped. (Sheesh, even on a bleh day, you still accomplish more awesome feats in the kitchen than I do on one of my Energizer Bunny days! :-)

    Sleep well and sweet dreams, Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you feel peppy again soon. I get those moods once in a while, and it bums me out. Bath and book? Sounds wonderfullllllll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm jealous! I'd love to get a dehydrator some day! Have fun playing around with it-- I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laurie,

    You are too sweet. Thanks! :)

    I only did what I had to today. Tomorrow will be a much better day.

    Blessedmama,

    I don't know why a long soak in a hot bath helps, but it does wonders for my mood.

    Now I am going to watch Desperate Housewives and laugh at the insanity. I need a little levity.

    talk to you both later, and thanks,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna,

    Experimenting with the dehydrator is on the top of my to do list. In addition to the raw nut cheese slices, I want to make sprouted wrap bread. Of course, I will post the recipes when I am happy with them.

    hope you have a great evening,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. hope you feel better soon Alicia, i will come check on you in the blog world tomorrow to see how you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle,

    That is very sweet of you. I will be fine, promise! Just a little down today. But I am already feeling better. I do appreciate your concern though.

    Have a great evening,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your chickpea patties sound like something I'd whip up. YUM. The salad sounds really good too. Thanks for sharing. Hope Monday is a better day for you. We all have those blah days from time-to-time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Morning Heather,

    I am much better this morning. Thankfully! Two days like yesterday would have been a serious bummer.

    Thanks for letting me know this doesn't just happen to me. I am normally so upbeat than when I am not it is very noticeable.

    Bean burgers are things I make on a fly and normally don't post as I assume everyone has their own method. Sounds like that is the case for you.

    I hope you have a great day today,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry you weren't feeling yourself yesterday, but thanks for making time for us anyway! Sounds like you are feeling better today, great to hear :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Morning Sarah,

    Those 8 hours of sleep I got did wonders. I am back to myself today. Thanks for stopping by. It was good to hear from you.

    Stay warm, I heard how cold it is where you are,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails