Saturday, January 2, 2010

Does Mangosteen Juice Reduce Inflammation?

Mangosteen juice is something that you see mentioned often on cancer websites. It is one of those things that always seemed too good to be true to me. I tend to be very analytical, probably due to my graduate degree in finance, so I work hard not to write things off too quickly. I have tried to keep an open mind on mangosteen juice, just in case it was a wonder fruit we should be consuming.

When I saw this article at the Nutrition Journal on-line tonight I had to read it. The purpose of the study was to see if consuming mangosteen juice (specifically "Xango") reduced inflammation as measured by CRP (C-Reactive Protein). I find CRP to be a vague test and one whose results are not that easy to interpret, but it is an indication of any overall level of inflammation, which we all know is not good if chronically elevated.

The results, those consuming 18 ounces of mangosteen juice a day had reduced CRP levels compared to those on the placebo. I don’t know about any of you but the sugar that must be associated with consuming 18 ounces of juice each day is just too much for me.

This study has done nothing to convince me to buy mangosteen juice. However, I am going to keep my eye open for other studies on this juice. If I see something else I will pass it along.

6 comments:

  1. I followed your link and read some of the article (not all, I'll confess) and found it very interesting. I had no idea inflammation was a cause of so many diseases. Where would one find mangosteen juice? I don't think I've ever seen it. But, I agree with you that 18oz. per day sounds excessive. Well, as a cancer survivor myself, I find your discoveries very interesting. Thank you for doing research and posting about it. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessedmama,

    Inflammation is linked to most of the big western diseases, sadly. That is one of the reasons I focus so much on anti-inflammatory foods.

    I have only seen Xango offered for sale on-line, although I didn't buy it. I did see a concentrated juice blend which contained mangosteen at Costco. If I pick up a bottle I will let you know how it tastes and how much sugar it contains.

    Thanks for letting me know you appreciate my research. When I post things like this I feel that if one person gets something out of it than it was worth the effort.

    have a great evening,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be interested to hear the results of your taste test if you find it. :) And, yes, I appreciate your efforts. When I was diagnosed, I felt very afraid, and a widow whose husband died of the cancer I had was there for me, providing me with all the materials her husband had collected. I'm sure you're reaching a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessedmama,

    Cancer is a scary diagnosis for anyone. Once you have been touched by it you are never the same (at least that has been our experience).

    I hope you are right that am reaching a lot of people. I try not to focus on cancer, since it is such a downer, but hope the message comes through.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I've seen mangosteen juice at my local health food store and wondered about it. I feel like you (me, that is) can get carried away with stuff like this though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Anna,

    I tend to stay away from overly hyped products and mangosteen is the most hyped I have seen. The producer claims this juice will cure almost everything. Seems highly unlikely to me.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails