Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dehydrated Onions


The first question you are probably asking yourself is why dehydrate onions. At least, that would have been my question. Many studies indicate that raw onions are more healthful than cooked onions. However, my husband doesn’t enjoy the assertive nature of raw onions. I do many things to tame the taste of onions to get him to eat more of them. This version was something that I hoped we could use on salad or “raw uncooked dishes”. This is my first attempt at working with dehydrated onions. It turned out to be quite tasty.

I decided I wanted something that was a little salty and chewy. I soaked the onions in liquid aminos to give the onions a little saltiness. The onions dehydrated until they were the texture I wanted. These work well on pizza and salad. Here is what I did.

Dehydrated Onions
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:

1 red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
1 tablespoon liquid aminos

Directions:

Toss the onions with the liquid aminos and allow the onions to sit for an hour. Periodically toss the onions to evenly coat them with liquid aminos.

Place the onions in your dehydrator on the teflex sheets in a single layer. Dehydrate at 105 degrees until the onions are the texture you like. I dehydrated mine for about a day.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 6.96
Calories From Fat (4%) - 0.27

Total Fat - 0.03g
Saturated Fat - 0g
Sodium - 160.56mg
Total Carbohydrates - 1.58g
Fiber - 0.33g
Protein - 0.21g

Comments:

These are a little difficult to explain but I would say they remind of a cross between jerky and onions. They are chewy and salt like jerky, but still taste like raw onion only much more mild.

Unrelated Note:

This may be my last post tonight. It all depends on how long my husband is in his home office on his computer.

I got a new computer earlier this week and my husband just finished setting it up for me late last night. I am still getting used to the new software. Hopefully I have run into all the computer glitches before the hubby goes back to work.

Tomorrow I will be more quiet than usual. Dan is taking the day off of work and we are going to have lunch with some friends and then run some errands after lunch. I hope to have a little time to write a post of two during the day.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds so good! Nobody at my house likes raw onions either. Oh, No! I don't have dehydrator! I love the idea of tossing the onions with the liquid aminos to give the salty taste, maybe I can use this idea and just roast it in the oven instead, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oraphan,

    You should be able to bake then in a low oven this way too.

    The first dehydrator that I bought came from Target, it was quite inexpensive (less than $25) and did what my new large one does. The only reason I bought the big one is that I needed a larger cooking surface since I was starting to use it everyday.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea! I never thought about dehydrating onions.. Another thing to add to the list. We are getting 2 more dehydrators so we are ready for the summer harvests..
    Debra @ Vegan Family Style

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I wonder if this will work on finicky kiddos? I'm up for trying! Thanks for the idea. Enjoy the slow day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would TOTALLY eat those :)

    I'm encouraged to know that you had luck with a $25 dehydrator to start out. I found one that has good reviews at $50 so it is on my wishlist near the top. I think it will get me started just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debra,

    Glad you liked it. Two more dehydrators. You cook on a scale I just can't imagine.

    Blessed Mama,

    It works for finicky husbands so I think it is worth a try on the kiddos.

    Sarah,

    A $50 dollar dehydrator should be fine to get you started. I love my new big dehydrator, but I think for my needs it is a little bit of overkill. I hope to "grow into it". ;)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails