Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Seitan Cutlets and Millet topped with Green Beans and Walnuts


As usual when 6pm came I had no idea what I was making for dinner. This is meal that came together based on what I had in the refrigerator, freezer and pantry. Their entire meal was ready in 25 minutes, the time it took to make the millet. Reheating the cutlets took 5 minutes. The green beans were ready in about 7 minutes. This is definitely one of my quick dinners. Here is what we had tonight.

Seitan Cutlets and Millet topped with Green Beans and Walnuts
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:

1 cup millet, dry
2 cups water
1 pinch salt
1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoon water
6 cups green beans, frozen
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
1 cup walnuts
salt and pepper to taste
4 seitan cutlets

Directions:

Combine the millet, water and salt and bring the water to a boil. When boiling reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, covered. Allow the millet to stand covered for at least 5 minutes after all the water has been absorbed.

While the millet is standing covered, start the green bean dish and reheating the cutlets.

Water sauté the onion and garlic until tender. Add the green beans, wine vinegar and cook until the green beans are hot but still vibrant green. Add the walnuts and cook a minute to heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste.

While the onions are softening heat the cutlets in a heavy bottomed skillet lightly coated with oil.

To serve, top the millet with the green beans and place the cutlet on the side. If desired top the cutlet with a little barbeque sauce.

Nutritional information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 647.51
Calories From Fat (30%) - 194.98

Total Fat - 23.08g
Saturated Fat - 2.54g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 888.68mg
Potassium - 682.91mg
Total Carbohydrates - 71.82g
Fiber - 14.95g
Sugar - 5.13g
Protein - 40.51g

Comments:

This meal contains a nice amount of protein, courtesy of the seitan and walnuts. Since my goal today was more protein I would say the meals today were what I intended. The green beans have a nice flavor from the wine vinegar. I also liked the crunch of the walnuts in this dish. To make this E2L friendly be certain not to exceed the 1 cup of daily whole grains.

Each serving of this meal contains approximately 1,135IU of vitamin A, 210mg of calcium, 6.2mg of iron, 130mcg of folate, 445mg of phosphorus, 175mg of magnesium, and 27mcg of selenium.

Unrelated Comments:

I would have gotten this posted last night but we had to get up at an uncivilized hour this morning. My hubby had to leave early for work this morning so the entire house was up and moving when he got up. Not being much of a morning person these early mornings are not something I enjoy.

Since I am up early this morning I am going to try to get my Pilates in before 9am. This is very out of character for me. Only time will tell if I can adapt.

I will try to be back later today with another recipe. We are going out to dinner tonight with our friend Phil who is in town from Missouri.

2 comments:

  1. I love green beans so another way to serve is always nice. Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a great dinner out tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    I too am always looking for new ways to make green beans. We buy a big bag of the frozen organic ones each trip to Costco.

    Dinner out will be great. Our friend Phil is always a blast.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails