Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce


Much to my surprise Dan actually left work earlier than usual today, before 6:30pm if you can imagine. This meant I didn’t have dinner ready since he has been working late this week. When I need a quick meal zucchini pasta always works.

The sauce I made today is a raw version of a creamy tomato sauce that typically has vodka. I used raw cashews in place of cream and added wine vinegar for the vodka. Both Dan and I liked the way this turned out. Here is what we had tonight:

Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce
Serves 2

Ingredients:

2 zucchini, spiralized
14 ounce can artichokes hearts, quartered
2 large tomatoes, rough chopped
½ cup raw cashews (soaked for at least 30 minutes and drained if not using a high speed blender)
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 medjool date, pitted
½ tablespoon wine vinegar
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
8 basil leaves, julienned
2 sprigs oregano, for garnish

Directions:

Combine the tomatoes, cashews, garlic, date and wine vinegar in your blender and process until smooth. If you are using a high speed blender it is not necessary to soak the cashews. Taste the sauce once it is smooth and add black pepper and/or adjust seasonings to your taste.

To plate, place the zucchini pasta on the base of the plate, top with sauce, artichokes and herbs. Serve cold.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 342.51
Calories From Fat (28%)-  97.36

Total Fat - 11.67g
Saturated Fat - 2.01g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 222.92mg
Potassium - 2031.13mg
Total Carbohydrates - 55.28g
Fiber - 18.31g
Sugar - 17.78g
Protein - 16.16g

Comments:

Both Dan and I enjoyed this dish. The sauce is rich (from the cashews) yet still light and with a hint of sweetness from the date. I will definitely be making this again since we both enjoyed it and it was quick.

Unrelated note:

I wanted to let you know why there have been fewer posts recently. I seem to have lost my blogging voice temporarily. Over the last week or so I haven’t felt like I have much to say. Additionally I haven’t felt much like cooking. I assume this will pass but at the moment I am riding it out while I wait for things to return to normal.

The raw cracker experiment from yesterday turned out different from other raw crackers I have made. It isn’t exactly what I wanted but they are thinner and very crisp. I am moving in the right direction with the crackers but we aren’t there yet. But given the results on the latest recipe I am fairly sure I will come up with a raw version of Mary’s crackers at some point. I think it is only a matter of time.

I made another version of lentil pate late this afternoon. It is still chilling so I am not ready to post the recipe yet. I hope to be able to sample it early tomorrow so I can share the recipe. This version is seasoned like traditional pate.

For now I need to run. A certain husband “needs” strawberry banana soft serve while he watches sci fi. Talk to you tomorrow.

12 comments:

  1. Great looking dish, I loved the use of dates. It must give a nice kick to this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RV,

    Thanks, the date gives it just a bit of sweetness in the background. I always loved tomato vodka sauce and this is my healthier version.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've often seen those tomato/vodka sauces...but have never tried one...can you really taste vodka from it?

    This sounds like a really tasty sauce..I also like the idea of the date in there. I looks really rich and satisfying.

    Don't sweat the lack of blog voice...I think everyone goes through it, as with the lack of cooking inspiration...it'll pass...we all have to strike that balance.

    Anyway, glad Dan got home early...even if it did catch you off guard! :) I hope you're both enjoying the evening together...I'm sure you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    Vodka is so mild in terms of flavor I don't think you can taste it. There is a little "warmth" from it in the back of the throat, but it is very slight. I think I prefer the vinegar actually. Never thought I would say that.

    I think I have been in a bit of a "down mood" lately. Sometimes I just feel the need to be alone. This feels like one of those times. It always passes quickly. ;-)

    It was amazing that he got home so early. We did have a nice evening. I hope you did as well.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of using the Tomato sauce as a salad dressing.I Don't normally put any dressing on my salads because I stuff them with so many yummy things I just don't think I need it but for some reason I have been craving dressing lately. Any idea's on creating a raw vegan Thousand Island?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great. I don't know why I never remember to use cashews to make a sauce creamy - I have a habit of just reaching for the silken tofu. Funny how that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She Woke Up,

    I would use raw cashews and water for the mayo, chili sauce, shallot, wine vinegar, and dijon to make thousand island. Great question, thanks for asking. I will try to make a batch of it soon and post it so you have the proportions.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather,

    I used to always reach for silken tofu too. Then I found out the organic Mori Nu silken tofu had soy protein isolate in it. I haven't found an organic brand without it yet. Do you know of one? Since soy protein isolate raises IGF-1 I try to avoid it completely. It seems there is always something else to avoid. *sigh*

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alicia

    I saw your reply to Heather and wanted to let you know this brand is organic--have you ever seen it near you? They carry it at the Asian grocery stores near me (not the organic ones, but the other varieties in the brand), so you might want to check it out? The definitely carry the non-organic silken tofu from this brand, which also does not have the isolates. Their tofu is all non-GMO, so would you be okay with it not being organic?

    http://www.house-foods.com/Tofu/products_detail.aspx?id=10

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  10. Courtney,

    Thanks, I have not seen that brand locally. But maybe I can order it on-line. I will see if that works.

    thanks so much,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  11. She Woke Up,

    I appreciate the suggestion! We eat so much salad as our meal I am always looking for new dressing ideas so Dan doesn't get bored.

    hope you are having good Thursday,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails