Monday, July 5, 2010

Mango, Apple and Walnut Salad dressed with Lemon Tahini Dressing


We ended up having a late dinner last night. I wasn’t in the mood for hot food again so instead we had a quick salad. The lemon tahini dressing worked just as well with fruit as it does with vegetables. I am going to be playing around with the concept of this dressing this week. I think it has a lot of potential for variation. Here is what we had for dinner last night:

Mango, Apple and Walnut Salad dressed with Lemon Tahini Dressing
Serves 2

Ingredients:

1 head romaine, shredded
4 tablespoons lemon tahini dressing
1 mango, peeled, pitted and cut into small chunks
1 apple, cut into bite sized pieces
12 walnut halves

Directions:

Toss the romaine with the dressing and place on the base of the plate. Top with mango, apple and walnuts. Serve cold.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 290.39
Calories From Fat (40%) - 114.8

Total Fat - 13.74g
Saturated Fat - 1.57g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 29.66mg
Potassium - 1118.14mg
Total Carbohydrates - 42.13g
Fiber - 12.11g
Sugar - 26.79g
Protein - 8.09g

Comment:

This was a nice light dinner after our heavier lunch. Both Dan and I liked the combination of fruit with the lemon tahini dressing. This was a good dinner for a hot summer evening.

Each serving of this salad contains approximately 19,000IU of vitamin A, 110mg of vitamin C, 220mg of calcium, 5mg of iron (which is better absorbed when consumed with vitamin C), 450mcg of folate, 330mcg folate, 210mg of phosphorus, and 100mg of magnesium. I am happy with those stats given this took me under 5 minutes to make. ;-)

Unrelated note:

When we got this morning it was 85 degrees on its way to 100. *ugh* Needless to say exercise was not happening outside this morning. Dan and I are still talking about what to do today. The projected heat has us both thinking AC sounds far more appealing than anything outside. If we put off deciding what to do long enough we will end up staying in the AC by default. *hmmmmm* I wonder if that is what we are both thinking subconsciously, LOL.

For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about artichoke ravioli. As my friend Louis would say “my Italian is showing”. It sounds great though doesn’t it? While ravioli isn’t my usual uber healthy food I may have to whip up a batch of ravioli tomorrow for a little treat. We will see if my “inner nutrition nazi” takes over and changes my mind. ;-) What do you think make the ravioli tomorrow or behave myself? Clearly I am looking for encouragement to go left. ;-)

I need to go make some fresh veggie and fruit juice. I will chat with later. I hope everyone is having a wonderful long weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I've been on a real salad kick lately, and this looks like a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ricki,

    I have been on big salad kick lately too. I never seem to run out of things to turn into salad.

    hope you are having a good weekend,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails