Friday, July 2, 2010

Beetroot Juice Reduces Blood Pressure and Increases Exercise Performance and Fun Facts Friday


For the last month of so we have been adding a beet to our daily fresh veggie and fruit juice. I liked the color it provides to the juice as well as the nutrition. According to a recent study the nitrate rich beetroot juice also reduces blood pressure as much as nitrate pills. Now I don’t know about you but given the choice of fresh vegetable juice or a pill I am going with the veggie every time. Previous studies have shown that beets enhance exercise performance. I think adding beets to your diet is a win/win.

Beets add a beautiful purple color to fresh juice. So far it has hasn’t mattered what else I put in the juicer if there is a beet in there the final juice comes out magenta. If you haven’t tried adding beet to your fresh juice I highly recommend it.

Fun Facts Friday:

Today I have a few things to do so I wanted to post the fun facts questions earlier than normal. I am going to stick with Laura Jill’s idea of positivity in the questions today because I think it is such a wonderful idea to look on the bright side. I know we all have things in our lives that would rather change but focusing in the negative things doesn’t help and I think it only makes things worse.

1. What was the best moment of your life? Is there something that stands out to you as just being perfect? For me it was the look on my husband’s face when Venice first came to view as we took the boat from the airport to the city. Venice was where we started our honeymoon. I had been to Venice before but the look on Dan’s face made it all new for me. I only wish I had a picture of that moment. He reminded me of a child at Christmas, it was the perfect moment. ;-)

2. What do you do to give back? I always think I should do more but give back as much as I have time for. We donate money and items to charity. I also see my blog as a way to give back. Fighting cancer is such a time consuming process. I hope that my recipes and links to articles helps other people in terms of requiring less time to research and experiment in the kitchen.

3. If you could make one change in the world what would it be? This is one of the questions that I ponder off and on. There are so many things that are broken in this world. Given our situation I have to choose the notion that all people would completely understand the impact of eating an unhealthy diet and leading a sedentary life. I would love to see cancer and heart disease on the decline in my life time.  I hope my blog helps people to realize that diet and lifestyle do have an enormous impact on health.

Unrelated note:

Today is going to be a little busy for me. I will try to come back tonight with an update but that may not be possible. If the day gets away from me I will fill you in on our food today tomorrow.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend. I love long weekends. Talk to you again soon.

6 comments:

  1. Love your favorite moment!

    I think one of my favorite moments had to be surprising my sister the day she was scheduled to have my nephew. She thought we were on our way to FL so you can only imagine her reaction when (while talking to her on the phone) I walked in to her room.

    I, too, donate money and items for charity. I wish I was better about actually volunteering and being hands on though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    Thanks, I have always wished that I got that moment on film. It was absolutely priceless.

    I thought you might pick the pending birth of your nephew. That must have been wonderful, it is a great story. :-)

    I have tried volunteering quite a few times. It never works as well in practice as I expect it too, but I keep trying. :-/

    I definitely see your blog as a wonderful way to give back. You inspire me everyday to push harder when I exercise. Thank you so much for that! ;-)

    talk to you later,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a wonderful best moment :-) I am going to have to think of mine...that is a tough question!

    To give back, I volunteer weekly at Open Arms, an organization that prepares and delivers healthy nutritious meals for people with HIV/AIDS, breast cancer, MS, etc. I also support organizations like Share our Strength, Heifer, and donate items to various charities. I always feel like I should do more, but I hope that what I do makes a difference for someone.

    If I could change one thing, I think it would be poverty...no one should have to struggle and live in poverty, and I think our world would be such a different place if everyone had adequate food and shelter etc.

    I hope you are having a great day!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney,

    I am glad you liked my favorite moment. It was a long time ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. He was so adorable, though I do say that about him often. ;-)

    What a wonderful way to give back. I think we all feel like we should/could do more. It sounds like you do a lot to me. :-)

    It was hard to pick one problem there are so many to choose from. Poverty is another biggie! :-/

    I hope you are having a great day too!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ali, your moment sounds wonderful. :)

    Mine would have to be the day I received the gift of the Holy Spirit. :) On that day my whole life changed. My eyes were opened, everything became new! I am certain my facial expression on that day rivaled that of a kid at Christmas. :)

    I do pay tithes to my Church, give offerings too. I help those I know in need. I give belongings to good will, and give to charities.

    If I could do one thing that would change the world! Wow! Give every person the Holy Spirit! I am not talking about a confession of faith here. I am talking about God's Spirit dwelling inside of you! The love of God is powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naina,

    It is wonderful that you are so happy and want to share that same joy with others. :-)

    The world would be a wonderful place if everyone had a more loving and giving attitude.

    I hope you have a great holiday weekend,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails