Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Zinc Nasal Spray May Cause Permanent Loss of Smell

(Photo source:  Amazon)

This morning I read an article about zinc nasal sprays causing loss of smell by destroying olfactory receptor cells, potentially through the inhibition of carnosine synthesis.  It was a small study, 25 patients. However I see no reason to risk loss of smell. Since this was second time I have seen this in a few months I wanted to bring it to your attention. I am skeptical of using zinc nasal sprays at this time, but I am more cautious than most. I will stick with my neti pot and warm salt water if I need anything up my nose. ;-)

Unrelated notes:

Dan did make it home late last night even with the storm cells in the area. Since a few of you had emailed me about this I wanted to let everyone know. :-) Thank you all for asking, it was very sweet of you to be concerned.

Today is going to be a little more busy than normal. I may not have time for another post today but I will work one in if I can.

A lot of you ask questions about what to do with the veg and fruit pulp that is leftover from juicing. I have another idea for using that which is on my agenda to try either late tonight or tomorrow. With a little luck it will turn out and I will be sharing that successful recipe for what to do with things that many of us are now throwing away. I have my fingers crossed that it will work as well as I am expecting it to.

I need to run for now. I hope you are all having a great Tuesday and I will talk to you again soon.

10 comments:

  1. Love my Neti pot, all my seasonal allergies have virtually vanished since I started using it. Plus, the number of colds I get is way down as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Losing Weight,

    I love my neti pot too. ;-) It always surprises me that everyone doesn't have one.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of neti pot or zinc sprays...what do you use them for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    Neti pots are used to clean your sinuses. I use mine in the morning to wash the pollen and dust out. It is an odd sensation at first but you get used to it quickly.

    I think Zicam is one brand of zinc nasal spray. People use it to shorten the duration of colds. I haven't tried these products so I can't tell you if they work. But if it might cause me to lose my sense of smell I will pass on it.

    talk to you later,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would think it would be a common sense thing not to shoot zinc up your nose, but hey.....
    I love neti pots!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brandi,

    I know people that swear by Zicam. I have always been a bit suspicious. ;-)

    talk to you later,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. " .........if I need anything up my nose. ;-) "

    hehehe,

    Rose you have never heard of a neti pot? the commercials are so funny!

    thats neat that they really work, did it take awhile to get the hang of it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle,

    Glad I could make you laugh.

    It only took using it one time to get the hang of it. The very first time it is extremely weird. But once you know what to expect it is fine. I think of it as washing out your sinuses of dust and pollen. It really does work, if you have allergies or are prone to colds you should try it.

    talk to you later,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband uses a neti pot because he has sinus issues. It totally freaks me out. The kids and I stand at the door, squealing as we watch him do it. I've never used zinc spray, but on a similar topic - I have read that a zinc deficiency can cause a loss of smell. Well, I think I have a weak sense of smell so I've always wondered if it was from a shortage of zinc. ??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny,

    I found the neti pot was only weird the first time I used it. After that you know what sensation to expect and it is fine.

    There are quite a few good vegan sources of zinc besides pumpkin seeds. I have documented those before if you want to search zinc on the blog.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails