Saturday, July 3, 2010

Slightly Sweet and Salty Asian Sauce


Lately I have been using a lot of spiralized zucchini. It makes such a filling and low calorie substitute for pasta I can’t seem to get enough of it. I was chatting with Courtney about different spaghetti recipes to make raw and when she mentioned lo mein I knew that needed to be the first recipe I worked on. Here is the sauce I made today for lunch:

Slightly Sweet and Salty Asian Sauce
Makes enough for 4 big salads

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons liquid aminos
3 tablespoons raw sesame seeds
¼ cup golden raisins
1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon mirin
water to thin the marinade (I probably used about 1 ½ tablespoons)

Directions:

Combine the marinade ingredients in your blender and process until smooth. Add as much water as you need to obtain the consistency you desire.

Nutritional information (for the entire recipe):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 272.36
Calories From Fat (39%) - 105.02

Total Fat - 13.61g
Saturated Fat - 1.94g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium - 2890.02mg
Potassium - 524.48mg
Total Carbohydrates - 42.83g
Fiber - 4.74g
Sugar - 21.6g
Protein - 6.24g

Comment:

This sauce has a little something for everyone; it is salty, sweet and a bit spicy from the ginger. This recipe makes enough for 4 servings of salad today for us. Our salad included spiralized zucchini as a base, red bell pepper strips, julienned radish, sliced sugar snap peas, cucumber cut into thin half moos, julienned carrot, shredded romaine, avocado, marinated oyster mushrooms and pine nuts. It was a very tasty and filling salad. Even my father enjoyed this one. This sauce is good enough that you may see a repeat of it soon. I liked this quite a bit.

Unrelated note:

Since Dan is not going to the office this weekend (minor miracle), I have no idea what we are going to do. I didn’t make plans expecting him to need to work. However it is very nice to have him home.

Sometime this weekend he wants to check out the health food store and café that Ian mentioned. We will also go to the farmers’ market tomorrow.

However, the weather is supposed to return to the usual Baltimore summer tomorrow, hot and humid. With temperatures in the upper 90s and/or low 100s I don’t see us spending much time outside this weekend. Whatever we decide to get into I will let you all know.

For now I need to run. I will be back later to let you know what we have for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails